five-with ears to see and eyes to hear

"so tell me how does it feel to be like you? i think your mouth should be quiet because it never tells the truth. tell me why does it have to be this way? why can't things ever change?"
~Sleeping With Sirens

Chapter Five- With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear

Eight missed calls from Mike. Eight voice mails. Five texts from Georgia asking me what the hell happened. I decided to just shut my phone off.

It was a Saturday morning and I was up at 9 am. It was considered a miracle for me. It was only because I couldn't sleep properly the whole night, I kept waking up. Three of those times were because of my phone vibrating. The reason I kept waking up the rest of the time was because I was nervous as hell about today.

Today was my second group therapy session and no one there came even close to liking me. And now they caught me in a pretty incriminating position with the co captain of the soccer team. If they had any thoughts about me being 'different to others' then I definitely slaughtered any trace of them after that. I sighed and got up out of bed.

I decided to sit down and have breakfast to avoid walking out of the house looking like a lunatic with toast shoved into my mouth. I made myself some scrambled eggs with the remainder of the eggs and cooked some bacon which I, of course, burnt.

After my very burnt breakfast, I went back up to my room and changed. I decided to just slip on a simple black shirt and faded jeans. I tied my hair up in a ponytail and applied slight eyeliner and gloss. I lacked motivation to put effort into my looks today. It wasn't going to make a difference since they were all going to continue hating me anyway.

Suddenly, the house phone started ringing. I ran down the stairs to get. No one usually rang the house phone so I was curious to see who it was.

"Katie, sweetie, is there something wrong with your phone?" I heard my mother say on the other end of the line. Of course it was her. "I tried ringing it a couple of times but it went straight to voicemail."

"Oh don't worry, it's just out of battery." I reassured her. "What's up?"

She cleared her throat, "Well, I was just making sure you were going to your therapy session today."

I forced a laugh, "Of course mum. It's actually really fun."

"I'm glad to hear that. Now, I have to go but have fun today okay? Bye honey." She said and hung up before I could answer. I sighed and put the phone back. I guess I should turn my phone on again now.

+++

It was precisely five minutes until group therapy started and I felt like throwing up. My palms were sweating buckets and there was a tight knot forming in my stomach.

I was hiding out in the hospital lobby instead of outside the door so I wouldn't bump into anyone and make awkward conversation. Or worse, get given the cold shoulder. As I was drowning in my worry and thoughts, someone I never thought I'd have to talk to again came up to me.

"Hello dear! Nice to see you again." The old lady I saw on the bus the first time I came here was right in front of me, smiling. Her husband wasn't in sight though.

"Yes, it's such a nice coincidence." I told her and smiled nervously.

She nodded, "How is your job going?" She asked kindly.