eleven-blackout

"and i can't see your face. cigarette the wrong way. inhale to the top of my lungs, i've been dying for this. and then you say, i'm not okay."
~Breathe Carolina

Chapter Eleven- Blackout

After Hunter kissed me, he left me on cloud nine and I was floating through the day without being able to concentrate on anything. Everyone kept asking me what was up but I just mumbled a lame excuse. I also could not talk to Hunter for the whole day. We avoided each other but that didn't stop me from being ecstatic about it.

On the way home though, Tom made sure that Hunter and I were next to each other so he jumped into the car making it so we had no choice. I wanted to both hug and smack Tom for putting me in this position. I felt all jittery and my mind couldn't concentrate on anything but the boy who was next to me, bouncing his knee up and down nervously. The same thing I did when I was nervous.  I put my hand on his knee and gave him a small smile. He must've realised what he was doing because he took a deep breath and smiled back.

After Lauren dropped off Tom and Lola, it was my house next. So when we pulled up, I thanked Lauren for being the driver today and said goodbye to both of them. I could only look at Hunter for a split second though because I could feel my heart beat right out of my chest. I shut the door of the car and walked say briskly not even letting myself think about looking back.

I was scared out of my mind that things would be awkward between us and things wouldn't work out. But he kissed me. So that meant he liked me back and that was enough for me right now. Even though I was being an awkward little shit.

+++

Monday morning at school, something happened that surprised me.

"Katie! Hi, I was wondering if you're free this weekend?" A girl named Hannah, who was friends with Georgia's group, came up to me while I was heading to English with Tom.

I was a bit shocked at first but smiled, "Uh, yeah, I think so. Why?" I asked her.

She handed me a piece of paper, "I'm having my 18th birthday party this weekend and I was wondering if you could come." She said. "Just RSVP when you find out for sure!"

I thought she was going to leave after that but she also handed Tom one which made his jaw drop and look her with so much surprise that I almost laughed.

"Can you let the others in your group know as well?" Hannah asked us. We both nodded, still stunned. "Thanks guys! Hope to see you there."

After she left, Tom turned to me, "What the actual fuck was that about?" He asked me looking confused.

I laughed and shrugged, "I guess we're going to a party this weekend."

At lunch Tom was way too excited to tell the others. Apparently he had never been invited to a party before and neither had the others so this was a pretty big deal for them. It wasn't for me really but what surprised me was that the popular group still talking to me. I mean what I did was unforgivable in Georgia's books. I thought she had a whole hate club against me but guess not.

"Guys, look what what Hannah Riley gave us!" Tom exclaimed as he banged the invite down on our table for everyone to see. They all took a second to read what it said and they looked at Tom as if he was joking.

Hunter raised an eyebrow at him, "Tom, did you steal this?" He asked. I snorted.

Tom glared at him, "No, asshole. She actually invited all of us. This Friday. Please can we go?" He begged us all.

After discussing the pros and cons we all decided to give in to Tom's pleas. I was kind of excited. It was my first time going to a party with real friends who aren't going to ditch me the second they see a hot guy. We all decided to meet at mine to get ready before the party.