thirty six-colors

"Everything is grey; his hair, his smoke, his dreams and now he's so devoid of color he don't know what it means."
~Halsey

Chapter Thirty Six

After I hung up the call, Hunter already knew that something was up.

"We need to get to the hospital." I told him urgently. He just nodded and we ran to find the nearest bus stop from where we were.

The bus wouldn't go fast enough and I wanted to shout in fustration. Something really bad had definitely happened and we needed to get there as fast as we could. But this bus was going at a snail's pace and it was driving me mad. Hunter seemed to notice that I was unsettled as he reached out and squeezed my hand softly.

10 minutes later, we had pulled up near the hospital. We ran the rest of the distance and before we knew it, we were in front of the reception and my heart felt like it was about to beat right out of my chest.

"Do you need help with anything, dears?" The old lady behind reception asked us, squinting at us through her glasses.

"Um, do you happen to know where Lola Garrett is?" Hunter asked awkwardly. Lola really should've explained more to us what exactly was happening.

"Well, I'll check for you. Hold on for a minute." The lady told us as she started typing up something on her computer. After a few moments, she looked back up at us. "I'm sorry to tell you this but no Lola Garrett in our system."

Hunter let out an irritable sigh as he squeezed his eyes shut. "I'm going to call her-"

"Are you two here for Tom Kennedy?" A voice sounded from behind us. We turned to find a young looking nurse.

"Uh..." I glanced at Hunter who had an unreadable expression on his face. "Why?"

Her eyes widened, "Oh I'm sorry. Maybe I got the wrong people. Please forget what I said."

"Wait!" I called out to her before she could leave. "We are here to see him. Could you please take us up to him?" 

She nodded, "Yes, yes, of course. Come with me."

We all walked in silence. It wasn't the good kind either. There was an air of tension surrounding us. The second she mentioned Tom's name all the scenarios I had been imagining in my head had changed drastically.

What the hell happened?

After four or five levels on the elevator, we got off. It was a hallway filled with rooms and rooms occupying patients. The last few times I had come here didn't leave any good memories so I was less than enthusiastic to be back here.

I started to make or Lauren and Lola sitting on the chairs outside one of the rooms. As we approached the twisting feeling in my stomach became worse and worse as I saw that they were both crying and looked a mess.

"Oh god, Katie." Lauren launched herself onto me and wrapped her arms around me tightly as she sobbed into my shoulder.

I glanced at the nurse and Hunter, who stood stock still with a hard expression on his face as f he knew what had happened.

"W-What happened?" I asked Lauren cautiously.

She shook her head vigorously but didn't give me an answer. She just kept crying and crying until I was afraid she would start hyperventilating.