Chapter VIII

"I will not cower in the shadows waiting for death." Sang all but screams at him.

"And I will not have you out there seeking it either. This conversation is over, I will have no more discussion on this and that is final." He turns away and walks out the door without a backwards glance.

The sound of the door slamming behind him had him flinching, but he couldn't regret what he had said. Owen knows that he shouldn't of had her believe that she isn't welcome, or back at the Slave Mines, but Owen needed to distance himself from her if she was to survive this place.

He was brought out of his musing as he was pushed into a wall and an arm pressed into his throat.

"What the hell is your problem? Why must you be so cruel to her?" Sean, his best friend had him by the throat.

"Because she needs to learn her place. She needs to know she isn't here on vacation and that in just a few short weeks she will be competing for her life. Forgive me if I don't want to see her loose or sent back to that place."

"So you believe her innocent?"

"I believe many things, but that yet I'm uncertain of. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't but I will not put the Princes life in danger to satisfy your curiosity. We are still part of the King's guards and I must do my job, as should you."

Sean steps back releasing the hold on his neck. "I know what my job is Owen, you don't have to remind me of that. But sheltering Sang isn't going to help her in the long run. From what I have seen from the last week, she works hard to get what she wants, and if she wants to leave this room, I doubt any of us could stop her. If you had used your brain and just taken her out for the day, she probably would still be in there, or better yet, with us under our watch."

"What do you mean? Of course she is still in there. There is no way she could have gotten past us, we have all exits covered."

Sean just snorted, and pointed towards the door. "If you're so sure about that, then why don't you go see if she is still in there?"

Owen looked back to the door hardly believing that she would run away from should a small confrontation. Shooting one last glance in Sean's direction, Owen made his way back to her door, and slams it open to hear nothing but quietness.

"Miss Sorenson?" Nothing.

Owen starts throughout her place to only find shattered remains of her dress on the floor, Sang no longer inside her room.

Owen walks out to find Sean leaning up against the column arms crossed, but his usual smugness gone, and is in all seriousness.

"Where is she Sean? Where did she go?"

Sean steps forward, a small frown taking over his features. "What? I was just joking. Is she really not in there?"

"Of course not you incompetent foul. Would I be out here asking you this if she was?"

Sean shoots him a glare before striding forward. "I'll let that slide this once Owen, keep in mind I am your friend, not your lackey. Know enough of your insolent words, let go see if there is any sign of where she has gone." With out further word Sean walks past him and enters the abode.

To frustrated to do anything else, Owen just follows him around, not believing to find anything on were she could have disappeared to.

After a short but thorough search of the place, Sean stops when he spots a letter. Unfolding it he reads it aloud for him to hear.

Guards

If you are reading this then I'm not back yet. I haven't gone far, and I will return, but I need some time to myself.
I know I cannot stop you all from searching for me, so don't freak out when you can't find me.
I promise I'll return, after all I have a competition to win.