CHAPTER XVI

To say training went any better than yesterday would be a lie. Master Brullo made then do the run again – stay in the middle – and it was just as hard as it had been the previous day. It was almost like she was living a ground hog day movie, run... stay in the middle... vomit... try not to pass out.

After that they made then to sprints, racing against each other. It was a lot harder this time to stay in the middle, and had to at the last second pull back when she noticed that she was closing in on Katherine. By the time lunchtime came around, she was at least thankful to see that even the great Lady Katherine was just as tired and sweaty as the rest of us.

The amount of times Sang had thrown up today had left her stomach empty and was now starving, but knowing her Captain, the meal will be small not wanting to overwhelm her sensitive stomach.

"Stupid baka." She mumbled to herself.

"Do I hear my little Pookie swearing in Japanese?"

"Watashi wa to katei shite imasuga, nihongo o shitte imasu?" (Am I assuming you know Japanese?)

"Yoku yoku, anata wa odoroki ni michite imasen?" (Well well, aren't you full of surprises?)

"You know, we keep answering each other with a question right?" Sang points to herself grinning, "see?"

Sean laughs sitting down next to her, wrapping her up in a hug. "So Pookie, how does a slave know Japanese?"

"Seriously Sean, if you want to smooth talk me, you should probably not mention the 'S' word. But, if you must know, I did have a life before being taken prisoner. I studied many languages, learnt many things, trying to find where I fit in this world... never really found it though."

"And what about now? Have you found what you're looking for?" He asks looking straight into her eyes, measuring her response.

"Right here and now? No. But the people... maybe."

"Why not here and now?" He questioned looking perplexed.

"Because right now I am here as a slave who is fighting as the Princes champion to win some competition where I will have to become the King's Assassin if I win." She said everything in one quick rushed breath and had to take another one before she continued. "I'm constantly on guard, my every move watched and I'm at the lowest form I've ever been at, even before the Acad... the people who found me took me. I don't know your story, or the others so I can't say you can understand everything I have gone through, but everything bad that has happened in my life, it all started when I was five. Since then I have never known peace, almost like my whole life has been one form of slavery. I have never wanted money or riches, I don't want anything fancy, the only thing I want is to live in peace, where I become my own master, make my own decisions and mistakes. That's why right here, right now it isn't right, but you and the others make it bearable."

Sean brushed a piece of hair back behind her ear and placed a kiss on her forehead. "What about the first five years? What were they like?"

Sang thought about it, but as hard as she thought about it, nothing came to mind. It was like her life started at five, even remembering the first time seeing her mother and father... at the age of five, but nothing before.

"I don't remember."

~~

It was late in the evening when Master Brullo let them leave for the day and to say that Sang was hungry would have been a huge understatement. The others had left her in her room by herself to go do their own things, but Sang didn't really care. At the moment she had two things on her mind and that was shoveling as much food as she could into her already full mouth and then sleeping... maybe she should have a bath two, she really does stink.