Chapter XII

Sang woke the following morning already knowing that today was the day. Slowly opening her eyes she stared up at the ceiling, her heart strangely calm, as she ran through what would be expected of her today. First step would be to exit the warm comfort of her bed, but she new that once she did there would be no going back to its warm embrace, so she stayed until she was to be forced out of it; most likely by the Captain.

The second step... Well she will deal with that when she had to. Now all she wanted was to close her eyes and go back to the peaceful dream she had been having. It was strangely weird in a bizarre fantasy novel kind of way.

She been a child no older than five and was running through what she would call an enchanted forest. The trees were long, round and ancient old with green like veins wrapping themselves up the trees and out of view. The ground was covered in thick lush green grass and was decorated with the most beautiful and exotic flowers she had ever seen; some even glowed from were they stood.

The most astounding thing about it all was what hovered around or crossed her path. From tiny little fairies, to unicorns and she was pretty sure she saw what she would have called a troll. Seriously, there was no other word to describe what she saw, but troll seemed to fit every description she had ever read in books.

Also the name Alishia had been heard from a woman calling the child back to her, but the child ignored her and kept running. She knew the child was not running from fear, but from pure joy and freedom.

Sang didn't know what the dream meant, or why she would dream of such a thing. The only thing she did know was that for some reason it seemed familiar, almost like a distant memory.

The feel of the air shifting had her opening her eyes and glancing towards the bedroom door, knowing any second now the Captain would invade her peace, not to be cruel, but as a obligation; an obligation to his Prince.

For the first time since she had arrived the Captain knocked on her door waiting for her response. Maybe if she ignored him and hid further under the blankets, he would go away and forget this whole competition. Then she realised who she was thinking about and sighed inwardly and flung the blanket back, lowering her feet to the floor.

"You can come in Owen, no need to start knocking now, you haven't before." She didn't mean to sound snarky; it was her go to method when she had to do something she didn't want to do. Owen just happened to be the first to cross her path; she would have to remember to tone it down a bit.

The door opened to reveal both Owen and Gabriel standing there, Gabriel holding a bundle of clothes in his arms.

"Hey Trouble. I brought you some clothes to wear for today. Need to show these she devils that think they are fucking gods gift to mankind, who they are up against. I took the design from that weird outfit you had and make it into something more. It took fucking forever to find material even close to what you had, still have no idea what that shit was, so I kind of used bits and pieces from the original outfit and make this one." He gestures towards the outfit he laid out on the end of the bed. "Oy. Why are you still in bed? We have less than an hour..." Gabriel kept talking as he went around the room doing god knows what.

Sang glanced towards Owen and smiled; there was something about these men that calmed something down in her, and they did it without even trying.

"How are you doing?" Owen asks her quietly coming over to sit down beside her.

Sang shrugs one shoulder and lays her head down on his shoulder. "A little terrified, maybe a little apprehensive, and a small bit excited."

"Excited?" You could hear the confusion in his voice and she couldn't blame him.