Chapter 1

Ellie POV

It has been seven years since I was forced to flee from my home, my life, and my mate.

I try not to look back at the life I lost so many years ago. But as I look into the eyes of my child, all I see are her father's. Her bright blue pools reflect the part of his soul I had fallen in love with. Every time I look at my child, I replay all the memories I share with her father, from the love to the betrayal.

Zea dances around the field, laughing at her own silliness. Happiness seems to surround her, a feeling she gives to all who know her. Over the years, being away from my mate broke my heart into pieces, but just being around her puts a smile on my face.

She is only six years old, yet she is my lifeline to living a life I can be happy in without him. She is the greatest gift I have ever been given.

I watch as she plays in the field behind the packhouse. Her laughter fills the air around me as she giggles about some secrets she is sharing with her aunt.

After I was forced to flee from my mate, I traveled around the country. His pack tracked me down, but I was able to escape them at every turn. I was only ever caught once by his gamma. Luckily for me, he didn't force me to be in a pack where my child and I were in danger. The gamma's job is to guard the Luna from any threat, even from her own mate, and that's what he did. He let me go, so my child and I could live.

When Zea was born, I moved to the Blue Moon Pack. Their new Alpha was my brother's best friend, Madden. He promised to hide my child and me in his pack because of the great threat looming over us.

As years passed by, Madden and his mate Layla became the closest thing to family for my daughter and I. Since I would never be able to return to my original pack without my mate finding out, I haven't seen my brother in almost seven years. I wonder some days if Zea would ever meet her Uncle Xander, but I know it would be too dangerous for her to ever travel to my old home.

The danger not only being her father, but the rogues who are also looking for me.

I try to avoid thinking of her never meeting her father, of never knowing the kind-hearted man I had fallen in love with. I only hope that she never comes face to face with the beast I was forced to flee from.

A voice takes me out of my thoughts of the past, "They still out there?"

I turn to Madden as I nod my head, grinning at my child and is mate, "They have promised the best bouquet of daisies for the dinner table."

He laughs at their ridiculousness as we both remember that they had said the same thing about roses for yesterday's lunch, "I love the way they act around each other. Layla will be a perfect mother."

I watch his eyes shimmer with his love for his mate. My heart aches slightly as I think about never seeing that type of love in my own mate's eyes when he watches our daughter.

I take a small sip from the coffee cup in my hands, "When is the littlest addition to our family supposed to be arriving?"

He gives me a small smile as he realizes that I know, "In about seven months. How did you figure it out?"

I look at his bewildered expression, "I have been pregnant before," I say all knowingly before bringing my drink up to my lips and mumbling under my breath, "And she told me two weeks ago."

He laughs as my words reach his ears, "Of course she told you. We were supposed to be keeping it to ourselves until at least the twelve-week mark."

"I am her best friend, of course Layla told me. We don't keep secrets from one another," I say, before quickly adding, "Just you."

"Secrets like what?" mischief shining in his coper eyes.