Chapter 20

Axton POV

After the meeting, I dismiss the room and put the entire pack on high alert.

All that is left is me and Ellie. I stand in front of my desk as she sits in a seat across from me with her head hanging, lost in think. She refuses to look at me. No matter what I did, or what I say, after she said that Cortez will kill her for not healing him, Ellie just refused to make eye contact with me.

My wolf keeps yelling at me to comfort her and to kill Cortez, and although I do agree with him, it also feel like she is keeping something else from me.

"Ellie," my voice barely breaks above a whisper.

She just shakes her head and continues to look at the floor.

"Ellie," I say again, this time moving in front of her and placing my hands against her cheeks to lift her face, "Please look at me."

"Axton," her voice cracks as if she is on the verge of tears.

I rub my thumbs in circles to calm her before speaking, "Ellie, why didn't you tell me any of this when you told me about the rogue prison you escaped from? Knowing about Cortez would could have helped us. Or why didn't you say that you are a healer?"

"Because I'm not a healer," she cracks.

"But you healed that girl."

"No, I don't," she argues, "I can't heal anyone."

I shake my head before kissing her lightly, "Ellie, why didn't you tell me you are a gifted wolf?" I ask.

"Because I'm not!" she screams, standing up abruptly before throwing her hands up.

"Ellie-"

"No Axton!" she screams at me, "I'm trying to tell you, but you aren't listening."

"What are you trying to tell me then?" I ask, trying to understand but coming up completely blank.

"I didn't heal anyone. It was-"

"Mommy!" Zea comes charging into the room, carrying a small teddy bear that Sawyer had gotten her. Both our attentions are immediately on her as our conversation drifts to the back of my mind.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" Ellie asks as she bent down and picked Zea up into her arms.

"I had a bad dream."

"What about?" I ask as Zea rests her head on Ellie's shoulder.

"A mean man who wants to hurt mommy," she cracks.

"Shh, sweetheart. No one is going to hurt me. I'm fine," Ellie soothes her.

I give my daughter a soft smile, "I promise Zea, no one is going to hurt her. I won't allow it."

"Are you sure?" she whispers.

"Absolutely," I tell her as she nods her head before clutching onto to Ellie's neck harder, "Why don't I take her to bed?"

Ellie nods her head in agreement as she hands our daughter to me, "I think we could all use some sleep."

Looking her over, I can see the exhaustion coming off her in waves. She's been up for over twenty hours now, "Come on."

Pulling Zea closer to my chest, we head for the door and move up the stairs. Every movement screams silence as we walk. A pin could be dropped and still heard.

Carefully carrying Zea into her room, I gently lay her down into her bed before drawing the covers up to her chin and giving her a light kiss on the top of her head.