Chapter 4

Axton POV

* 7 Years Ago *

I slowly creep down the stairs in the attempt to pass by without being noticed. They are making today a bigger deal than it needs to be. It has only been a year. No more, no less. One year older, but if you ask my mother, it is the day I become a man.

Moving through the pack house, I stay on my toes so I won't be detected by the women who gave birth to me in the kitchen.

I have it all planned out. Sneak downstairs to avoid the big day surprise breakfast she did every year. Go to my best friend Walker's house to hang out for a while. Then go to the party the pack is throwing late tonight.

It is easy, almost too simple. What could possibly go wrong?

That's when I hear it. The slight tip of my bag pushing the antique china vase my mom had placed out on the entry table. Closing my eyes tight, I listen to the sound of the old glass shatter into a million pieces against the hard wood floors.

"Axton!" my mother's Luna tone scream to me through the walls.

Well, there goes the plan, I think to myself.

Did you really think one of your plans actually had a chance at surviving without you screwing it up in some way? Knox mocks me.

Hey!

Not my fault you can't handle the truth, he laughs. I could even see his wolfish smirk as he laughed at me.

"Axton Knight!" my mother yells at me as she came veering out of the kitchen door. Her short stature put her less than a foot smaller than me as her brown wavy hair shook around her face. Her face holds a stern look as her anger shown through the blue eyes I had inherited, "Where do you think you're going?"

"Um," I scratch the back of my neck, trying to think of a way not to piss her off any more than she is, "I was just going to talk to Walker real quick. I promised him I would come by this morning."

"Oh, don't try to pull that crap on me," she scolds, "After what you just did to my vase! You are going to get in that kitchen and celebrate your birthday," she pushes me towards the door.

"You would think after over twenty hours of excruciating labor, I would get just a little bit of respect today," she mutters under her breath as we enter the decorated kitchen.

My sister, Alex, sits at the counter laughing at my failed attempted to get out of this family tradition. She is only two years younger than me, but she looks to be almost the same age. Her brown hair twirled around her face as she smiles through the same blue eyes we both inherited from our mother.

"I see you failed at sneaking out," she continues to laugh.

I stick my tongue out at her childishly as she did the same before I take my seat next to her.

"Where's dad?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

"He is in a pack meeting. He will be back in time before your party though," my mother smiled brightly at me as she moves a stack full of pancakes in front of me, "Happy birthday, Axton."

"Thanks mom," I tell her as I start to dig in, trying to avoid the subject I know she will bring up.

"So about tonight?" she starts.

"No. Don't even go there," I say, although my words are muffled by the pancakes in my mouth.

"I was just wondering if you were ready to meet her," she says offhandedly.