Chapter 5

Ellie POV

I feel my heart break as I place my daughter into the hands of Layla. I lightly kiss my perfect angel on the forehead before saying goodbye to her for what might be the last time.

The second she is out of sight, I charge back to the field where the battle rages on.

By the time I reach the field, all-out war had erupted as blood and body parts of dead wolves litter the soil. The once bright yellow daisy field is now red with the blood of both the enemy and the pack.

As soon as I take in the scene before me, I charge into the battle. Through the chaos, I see one of the younger pack members surrounded by three rogues. In one burst of energy, I throw myself over the one looking away from me, swiftly snapping its neck as I move over it.

Landing lightly on my feet, I drop the fur of the dead rogue and turn my attention to other two. They are quick, and I would have been dead if I was any ordinary wolf, but I am not. I kill them, slicing through their jugular as they try to snap at me.

Ellie! I hear Alpha Madden call out to me in the mind link.

Alpha, what is it? I ask him as I search the terror in front of me. Wolves are flying in every direction as the tsunami of rogues continue to run out of the woods.

Is Layla safe? Did you get her out? I catch the movement of his dark brown fur as he slaughters five rogues that try to charge him. He eyes meet mine and I see fear for his mate through his eyes.

I nod my head at him, I got both her and Zea out. I sent them to an ally territory.

There's something wrong about these rogues, he tells me as we continue to kill all that crossed our paths. I can feel pain radiating through my body from the numerous cuts around my body.

What do you mean? I question as I dodge another attack, wrapping my neck around him and twisting the spinal cord in half.

They are taking pack member's blood and stealing the she-wolves.

Rogues don't take prisoners, confusion fills me as rage takes over my wolf. She is pissed at the thought of what they will do with our pack members, What could they be after?

I don't know, but we- He gets cut off.

I see as every rogue just stops fighting. They stand like statues, not even twitching as a pack member bites into them.

My eyes connect with Madden's and we stop fighting. They were defenseless by halting their attack, yet they just stood there, waiting for death. I'm about to take a step forward when I feel it. The pain swallows my mind, making my wolf whimper and scream in my head.

It feels as if my brain is being pulled in all directions. Gripping my head in pain, I collapse. Slowly peeling my head from the ground, I watch as my pack members had also been taken down.

What is happening? I try to call out in the pack link through the searing pain. I grip my head harder, trying to push the pain out.

Through the screams held in the field, I hear the slow thunder of one man's clap. The image of nightmares stands in a black suit by the forest. Two hooded figures stand on either side of a dark man.

I try to push myself off the ground when they raise their arms and begin to chant.

The pull snaps back with the force a raging bull.

All I could see is a dark smile as my mind goes blank.

****

I wake to the stale air of concrete. Slowly peeling my eyes open, I take in my now desolate surroundings.

Chains are wrapped around my wrists and I can smell the silver coating in the paint of the cell. Slowly pulling the chains, I move to the front of the cage. Across the hall are more she-wolves. They look beaten and tortured.

El, I have a bad feeling about this place. We need to leave. Now! Raelynn screams to me, whimpering at the stench.

I know. I'm working on it, I tell her as I mentally comfort her.

I step closer, trying to find a way through the bars.

"I wouldn't touch that if I were you," one of them call out to me. I look at the one who had spoken. She has blonde hair like mine and is around my short stature. But as I take her in more, she looks as if she has been starved, "They coated the bars in silver, same as the walls."

I pull my hand back as I give her a slight nod of thanks before asking, "Who are you?"

"A prisoner, same as you," she answers. Her voice held nothing but sorrow and pain.

"How long have you been here?"

"Almost a month, but some of the girls down there have been here a lot longer," she says, pointing to other cages.

"I don't understand. Rogues don't take prisoners, so what do they want with us?"

"Haven't you noticed?" she laughs with a raspy voice as if it was some sick inside joke.

"What?"

"They are looking for someone; someone that looks like all of us," she gestures to each girl as I take in their appearances. Every single one of them look like me. All of them could be me.

Distant screams fill the halls of the cells causing the wolf across from me to shrink back into the wall in fear. Pounding footsteps sound overhead as someone comes closer to the prison cells.

"What is it?" I ask her, "Who's coming?"

A door slams open, making me jump in shock as I hear the person moving closer. I smell the scent of blood reeking off the new person before he even enters my sight.

He's at least six foot as he stands in front of the cage with an evil grin. His brown eyes hold hatred and pleasure in our impending torture as he pushes back his blonde hair slightly. Half of his face is covered in the smeared blood of one of his victims.

"Looks like we have fresh blood," he sneers wickedly as he looks me up and down, "Oh, I am going to enjoy breaking you."

"I've seen worse than you," I retort, anger filling me, "Give it your best shot."

"I plan on it," he laughs. Pulling out a needle, he enters my cell with that smile still on his face, "But I do love a challenge."

I swing at him as hard as I can, connecting with his cheekbone. Spitting out blood, he turns back to me with eyes red as blood.

The second of shock was all he took before his knee goes straight into my ribs. Curling his hand around my arm, he pushes me into the silver wall. I shriek at the sudden impact as my skin burns. Quickly taking advantage, he sticks me with the needle.

He plunges the clear liquid into my system. I slide down the wall as the drugs start to effect my body. Kneeling in front of my face, he starts to laugh, "Nighty night."

My eyelids shut despite my mind's protest as the drug forces me back into darkness.