[002]

When my mother arrived home, she was too busy sorting through papers and muttering something about one of her patients to notice me. I trudged upstairs and sat in my bed, pondering the night's events.

I didn't remember everything. I could barely call back the man's face - the one who carved a smile into the flesh on my neck. All I could really remember was the shocked, violent look in his dark hazel eyes and his messy black hair. And the other boy, with blonde hair and glasses, the sharp jawline and soft speech. I didn't remember anything else. To say the least, I was scared and confused.

I knew fully well my presence was unwelcome at the house nextdoor, but I felt compelled to find out what was going on over there. If they were hiding something, I reckoned it was my duty to find out what. I knew I wasn't typically the nosy type, but this was different. This could have ended horribly, but it didn't.

The kids could have killed me. I didn't want to die; I wasn't 'depressed' or 'emotional' or anything that my therapist had said. I was simply sad, but I didn't want to die.

I'd lost track of time. I knew Ray was supposed to be coming over, presumably around three, but I nearly jumped out of my skin when his timid knock came, followed by a small, "Frank?"

"Come on in, man." I said. "Isn't my mom down there?"

"What-? No, why?"

I didn't answer. She'd been downstairs just a moment ago. I tried to forget, but after a horribly long five minutes or so, I couldn't take it anymore. I went to the top of the stairs and yelled down toward the kitchen.

"Mom!"

"What's the matter, Frank?" My mother's voice rang throughout the house loudly, though clearly a bit annoyed.

"Nothing. Nevermind." My voice faded out. Maybe she was in the bathroom or doing laundry when Ray got here. I sighed and stepped back into my bedroom, laying back on the bed. "Weird."

"What?" Ray asked.

"She's down there."

He gave a small nod, "Okay. Now that I think about it, I don't know that I've ever met your mom."

We didn't talk about her after that.

[]

I was teetering on the edge of telling Ray. I knew the boy told me not to tell anyone, but it was eating at me from the inside out. Plus, Ray was a great friend; I was sure he wouldn't let a word of anything I said slip.

That was the thing about Ray. He was pretty quiet most of the time, but that didn't necessarily mean he was sheepish, per say. As he'd told me once when I'd asked him just why he didn't speak much, "I'm not shy, man, I'm just an exceptional listener."

And he never told any of my secrets. He knew most of the things that could potentially ruin my goddamned life, but his lips always remained sealed and my secrets intact.

I gave in, touching the cut on my neck. "Dude, something weird happened last night."

His eyes flickered from mine and down to my fingertips. "Oh, God, don't tell me you discovered that you have some weird gore kink," He muttered.

"It's the neighbors," I said, neither confirming nor denying the gore kink hypothesis. "They're always playing this really loud music, and last night I went over there."

"To tell them to shut up? Frank, that isn't the best idea," Ray cut me off. "You really don't know them."

"No, no, I went to party." I gave off a grin. "I was so high, dude."

"Get to the point." Ray laughed, rolling his eyes. I told him what happened, leaving out a few minor details. Afterwards, he looked absolutely horrified. Then his lips parted into a wide grin. That never meant anything good. "Dude, let's go over there."

"Fuck no, Ray, are you insane?" I held my breath. I was almost sure I knew what was coming next. I was right; Ray's fingers clamped down on my wrist and he jerked me out of the bed.

"Come on," He drawled.

"You don't understand," I stammered, wrenching my arm from his grasp. "I could have died. I'm pretty sure I'm not going over there for a while." I was scared of the place, needless to say. Although, I was intrigued and beginning to believe I'd imagined the whole incident.

Ray sighed, "Don't be a pansy."

Pansy. What's that, Pansy?

I guess I didn't have much willpower; I gave up the fight with Ray, letting him pull me downstairs and out the back door without a struggle.

ok the chapters are going to be short sorry but I think I write short chapters better k
also, this probably seems irrelevant but t r u s t me it's not k thanks ily