z e r o

"She was a work of art, and he was a piece of work."

WHEN the doorbell rang, I was crouching awkwardly in the middle of a mural, the wet paint splattered on my worn pumas.

I looked at the door, then at my painting, and gave in to the curiosity. I stepped out of the sneakers and walked, sock-footed to the door.

I should have checked to see who it was before I opened it, but too late. My ex-boyfriend Adam stood in front of me, holding a box of chocolates.

"Uh, hey." I said awkwardly.

"Ivy," he mumbled, sticking a hand in his pocket and locking eyes with me, "I'm sorry. I love you and I would never hurt you, you know that."

"But you did anyways." I whispered.

"I didn't mean to! O-or anything, but she was there and you... weren't there."

I wasn't at one party, so he made out with another girl in a closet. Story of my life.

"Just go away, Adam, I don't want to hear your speech." I said quietly, begging myself not to cry.

"No! I won't go away Ivy, I love you and I don't want it to end like this. I'm sorry!" he spoke.

I closed my eyes as they began to tear up. He didn't need to see me cry. I started to close the door, but he stopped it with his heel.

"I'm sorry, Ivy! How many more times do you want me to say it?" he said loudly.

"Until you mean it," I whispered, and he moved his foot back. I shut the door and locked it.

Eventually, he left. I waited until his car had pulled completely out of the driveway before I broke down, sobbing.

I had forgiven him too many times. This time, I wasn't going to.

He had left the chocolate on the step, and after eating part of it, I slipped on my pumas and continued to paint, tears dripping onto the mural unnoticed.

i am sooo crazy excited for this! it has been sitting half-finished in my works for a while and I think it's ready.

(edit:: in this au, darling little mendes is actually an asshole. buckle up kids)