t h r e e

SHE sighed and played with my hair. "I wish you had been more careful," my mom mumbled.

I was sitting on the edge of a hospital bed, my mom next to me. I was wearing a hospital gown; which I had insisted wasn't necessary, but after they set my nose and stuffed it with gauze, I still had blood all over me. I knew exactly what Tessa would say if she was here: "Let me paint you." She loved gore, the uglier the better.

"Ivy, you got blood on your shoes." she said in horror. I looked down at my pumas, which were even more stained than before. I opened my mouth to say that it didn't matter, but she interrupted me.

"We'll have to get you new shoes then." she said confidently. I sighed, but it sounded way too nasally. Of course she'd attack me about my shoes when I couldn't even talk.

"So it's settled, as soon as you can leave." she was smiling as though she had just come up with sliced bread. In reality, I detested her idea.

I nodded anyways. I'm still not 100% sure why, maybe just to make her happy.

-

Three days later, after the swelling had gone down and they had set my nose, it had a bandage on it. I had to get it checked in a week. Tessa asked me if I had plastic surgery a hundred times.

"You're sure it doesn't look different at all?" she asked again.

"Trust me." I repeated again.

"New shoes! How exciting!" my mom exclaimed. I was sitting shotgun, mom was squealing as she clenched the wheel with her manicured hands. Tess giggled and sat behind in the backseat.

"Y'know, I heard somewhere that the new boy works in converse..?" she offered with a smirk.

"So?" I asked, trying to be indifferent. My voice sounded weird and squeaky through the cast, I hated it.

"So... Never mind."

I turned around in my seat to face her, raising my eyebrows. But she just smiled devilishly. Dear god.

i just realized now how short this is... but the next chapter is longer so haha don't hate me