s e v e n t e e n

"ARE you sure about this?" Mum asked with a worried expression on her face.

I bobbed my head, the scratchy velcro of the bib on my neck.

The hairdresser set the chair as high as she could, wet my hair, and began to cut.

-

My hair just reached past my shoulders, and dyed blond. My present for exams, mum had said. They were next week. I hadn't even passed them yet, but I knew I would.

"Oh. My. God." my Mum kept saying as we drove back to the house. I ran my fingers through it and smiled. The blond looked so real. That hairdresser had done great.

When we were paying at the till, the lady smiled and complimented the cut.

"I didn't know I had it in me," she had sighed, "but you look absolutely fantastic.

I thought I did, too. New and improved.

The date was tonight. I hadn't planned for the appointment to be on the same day, but that's just how it turned out. We were seeing some cute Disney movie at the theatre. Shawn was so excited to see it, it was hilarious. I hadn't told him about the cut. A nice surprise.

We got home about an hour before Shawn was supposed to pick me up. I rushed up to my room and got ready.

Cara was at work, so I called Tessa and asked what she thought I should wear.

"Nothing too revealing," she replied, and I snorted. I owned nothing even partially revealing.

I straightened my annoyingly short bangs and swept a brush through the rest of my hair. Tess helped me pick out a white long -sleeved shirt and a pair of jeans. In the back of my closet, I found a big, red plaid shirt, and tied it around my waist.

I was slipping on my converse when Mum ran down and enveloped me in a hug.

"My baby's first date," she said, her voice trembling. Oh, please don't cry.

"I'll see you later," I mumbled into her shoulder before she let go and fluffed my hair.

"Have fun."

I heard a car honk.

"No socks?" she asked, her eyebrow twitching.

"Nope." I said, popping the P, grabbing my jacket, and shutting the door behind me.

-

"Your hair," he gasped as I moved into the car and slammed the door.

"I think it's great," I chirped, twirling a piece around my finger.

"So do I. Very... mature."

I stuck my tongue out at him and he chuckled, driving out the driveway.

"You sure are less shy, now." he commented.

"I'm still the same as I was before I cut my hair. It's just hair."

"I know, but before that. You seem much more confident. I'm proud of how you've grown as a person."

I nudged his shoulder and laughed, "look who's become all mature as well. What are you, forty?"

"I'll have you know, it's my thirty-eighth this Friday." he said in a fake British accent so terrible that I snorted, and immediately blushed.

"That has got to be the cutest thing I've heard or seen all day." He remarked, and I burst out laughing again.