t w e l v e

I was lying on my bed, my hair swept around my face in tangles.

Cara was still mad at me. I couldn't blame her, I'd hit a nerve. Call it a victory lap all you wanted— she was scared of college. And I was too, to be honest.

Shawn would be over any minute. I glanced up at the clock from across the room. The only sound was the quiet, steady clicking of the second hand.

I saw a car pull in the driveway, groaned, and sat up. I pulled up my socks and changed into a pair of sweatpants. My hair fell loosely at my shoulders.

I got to the door just as he knocked.

"Oh, uh," he stuttered. I rolled my eyes and turned around.

He closed the door behind him and I lead him back to the kitchen. My textbook and some paper and pencils were on the table.

"What, no snacks this time?" he joked.

I raised an eyebrow.

"I was kidding," he said.

"Oookay... I sighed, slipping into a chair. He sat beside me.

I opened the textbook and helped him finish his homework, then we looked at other questions he didn't understand. I tried to ignore his hair falling into his eyes and how the corner of his mouth twitched up into a smile whenever he got an answer right.

It wasn't easy.

"Woah," he said suddenly, interrupting me as I read a question.

"What?" I asked.

"It's been two hours. I gotta go."

"Okay." I stood up and walked to the fridge. The hours went so fast. "Want a drink?"

"Sure."

I dug through and uncovered a dented Pepsi can.

"Thanks," he laughed.

"I hope I helped..?" I said, as he chugged half the bloody can.

"Yeah, thanks." He started to look at me funny, and I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear self-consciously.

"I'm sorry I wasted your time, before. You're pretty cool."

"Thanks?" I chuckled.

Shawn stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked over me to the living room, my painting still on the ground. He walked towards it and crouched down.

"This is great." he grinned.

"Thanks, again." I smiled faintly.

"We should hang out sometime," he blurted.

"What?" I was so confused. Did he really..?

"I'm throwing a party on Friday, maybe you... wanna come?"

"Maybe," I whispered, "I'll think about it."

you guys will LOVE the next chapter ohhmigosh...