s i x

PACING back and forth across the living room, my fingers were clenched so tightly in my hair they almost ripped it out.

"Ohmigod..." I whined nervously. My first study session with the boy I made a fool of myself in front of. Great.

There was a knock on the door and I jumped about a foot in the air.

"It's okay Ivy, you can do this," I breathed, smoothing down my blouse and walking to the door.

I opened it, and was greeted with a big hug and a squeal.

"Ivy! I missed you so much!" my sister Cara cried, hugging me so tightly that my face was buried in her scarf.

"Me too, I wasn't expecting this at all!" I gasped happily, grateful that it wasn't Shawn as she pulled away and walked into the house.

"I didn't think I would see you for months, and yet here you are." I said, shaking my head and smiling. "How's life going in the new apartment?"

She hissed air in her teeth and flopped down onto the sofa. "Not so well. I thought Nick could handle me, but he really didn't try hard enough. I broke up with him."

"Cara..." I sighed, sitting beside her.

"I know, I know, I'm super picky. But I want the right guy, y'know?"

"I know." I whispered.

"Now," I said brightly, tapping her arm, "mom's gonna flip, but I have a bigger problem."

"I heard about your nose."

"Not my nose, a boy. Is coming over."

She raised her eyebrows. "Seriously?"

I sucked in a breath and said, "Seriously."

There was a second of silence until Cara started squealing and bouncing up and down. "THAT'S AWESOME!!" she shouted.

"Shush," I laughed nervously as she shook the couch, "Now go hide somewhere, I need to deal with this myself."

"Are you sure?" she asked, holding her hands up like guns, "no backup?"

"No backup." I grinned.

"Good luck, little sis." Cara giggled, walking down to the basement. Once she was gone, I combed through my hair with my fingers and took a deep breath.

"You'll do fine, Ivy." I said surely to myself, picking at a hangnail.

It's just a boy.