Chapter Fifteen

The second we passed through the melted wall, it froze back into place behind us. About a foot in front of us was a tiny hole just like the others that opened a dungeon for us before. Ghirahim removed the earring and inserted it into the hole.

"She looked oddly familiar. It was almost as if she wasn't a normal Ice Demon." Zeefa observed as Ghirahim turned the earring. The wall melted away, revealing a cramped, yet lit opening. It was clearly an opening to a cave and the title was spot on. It was full of ice that was shaped like millions of crystals.

"I noticed that as well," Ghirahim said as he stepped into the glittering cave. I stepped in after him, noting the extreme drop in temperature as I did so. Even with the Ice Demon jewelry, I shivered from the cold. I tried to hide it from Ghirahim, however. I may have felt a little bad about my attitude toward him upon our arrival, but I'm still not giving him the satisfaction.

We walked deeper into the cave of ice and I'm pretty certain the temperature was beginning to drop even more. Zeefa flew in circles around us to keep warm. Ghirahim and I didn't have that option. We walked deeper and deeper into the winding cave with no event. I was beginning to feel that something is wrong.

"Something should have happened by now," I mumbled through the shivers.

"I agree," Ghirahim nodded, "Perhaps something went wrong when Netti set the traps-"

The ground below us shifted and smoothed out, forming a slide. Ghirahim and I slipped and slid down at a frightening pace into the unknown. I couldn't get a good grip on anything! We were spinning, sliding and gaining speed. I reached back for my sword, but couldn't get to it. I had zero control over my own body at the moment. Ghirahim was scrambling beside me, anger and determination in his yellow eyes.

"We can't slow down! And I can't get to my weapon!" He looked at me and his eyes widened, "Take my hands!"

I glowered at him, "What in this realm or the next makes you think I'm going to take your-"

"Just do it!" He growled. I didn't have much choice when he laced his fingers with mine. "Now push against my hands! Do it now!"

His plan was beginning to register in my mind. I nodded and shoved against him, locking my arms. The friction of the ice against my back burned like no other, but I only pushed harder. We pushed against me with the same amount of force but we were still falling. I nearly gave up when I noticed we were beginning to slow down. I pushed harder in an attempt to slow down faster, but it didn't seem to make much difference. I looked down and thought one thing. Oh no.

Below us the ice curved up in such a way that will throw us down to the pit below. I pushed harder, using my feet now as well, but Ghirahim let go!

"What are you doing?" I demanded, trying to catch his hands again.

Ghirahim took hold of my shoulders and said, "Just trust me!" He shoved his hands down so I was now below him then pushed with his feet as well, gaining back the speed we'd lost. I moved my hands around desperately, trying to grab something. What was Ghirahim thinking? Has he gone back to his old self?

I looked down and felt a surge of panic once again. The curve is close! With one last, betrayed glare at the demon above me, I slid off of the curve and sailed through the air. I closed my eyes, waiting for my end. Ghirahim you liar!

"Oof!" I slammed shoulder first into soft, powdery snow that was about three feet deep. I opened my eyes just as someone crashed on top of me.

"Uh! Watch it you!" I shoved Ghirahim off and scrambled up. It took me a moment to realize... I'm alive! I stared at Ghirahim with wide eyes, "You knew that was going to happen didn't you?"