Chapter Twenty Six

The slight breeze lifted the purple leaves, and the sunlight shone through them, creating dancing, amethyst light on the forest floor. The ground was soft and spongy, and the plants were so many colors, glowing softly. The setting was perfect. However, the emotions going through the demon's mind was the opposite. Her chest constricted with every step, and her stomach knotted tighter the closer she came to her destination. Just ahead was a gap in the growth, hidden by thick vines. Almost curtains concealing a great truth. In some way, it was. This was a long awaited moment for the demon that she had been longing for and dreading for so long. Five steps to go. Just a little further. Four more steps. Her feet seemed to weigh down. Three. Two more.

She pushed the vines out of the way gracefully. She stepped in time with the movement of her arm. As the vines fell behind her, she became immobile. She only stood, allowing herself a moment to compose her emotions. She was standing in a beautiful meadow, full of patches of glowing plants of every color. The deep violet leaves above cascaded down around it perfectly. It was painting perfect. In the center, was a sleeping boy, who looked so sad even in slumber.

He stirred slightly. The movement made the other demon's heart flutter. He opened one beautiful eye, then both shot open in surprise. He looked around himself in wonder, as if he'd never seen such a sight. A smile dared to show on the female demon's face, but she hid it well. She waited as he took in his surroundings. When he finally spotted her, his mouth opened slightly. A single fang showed in his gaping mouth. His eyes watered as he saw her. She didn't know what to expect when he spoke. But the last thing she thought he would say the next words.

"Is this a dream?"

Link's Point of View

I stepped out of the portal to a very dark area. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I made sure not to move, in case I ran into something I didn't want to, like a Bane or something worse. Not that I can think of much worse. Lumious was still sitting on my head, but I didn't notice much until he spoke.

"Ugh! This isn't working for me! I'm a light faerie after all. Here, let me help."

He flew off of my head and away a bit. I wasn't sure what he was expecting to find. I doubt there are any candles nearby.I looked away a moment when a bright light appeared. I looked at it with surprise and laughed with amazement. Lumious's name couldn't have been more perfect. The little guy actually glowed! All I could see was a ball of yellow light illuminating the room.

"Much better! Hey what is this place? And why's it full of junk?" Lumious wondered out loud. I wasn't really paying attention at the moment however, because I saw the one thing I've been wanting to see since I left. Amid all of the clutter, sat Ghirahim, who looked more shocked to see me than I was to be here. He stood frozen, as if I were a ghost. I suppose the last time he saw me it seemed I was dying. So this wasn't really an unrealistic thought. I half smiled, opening my arms for him. He didn't hesitate. He rushed into my arms, scooping me up and holding me tight. I held on even tighter, so glad to feel his warmth again. I took in his scent as I buried my face in his shoulder. Ghirahim planted a soft kiss on the top of my head and whispered into my hair.

"Don't ever do that to me again! I thought I'd lost you."

I chuckled and shook my head, "Nevaeh got me out before I died. I'm fine I promise."

Ghirahim pulled back in surprise, "Nevaeh? But she's-"

I chuckled, "No. Long story short, she's alive. And every guardian we come across needs to meet her at Netti's temple. My job is to get them there and help you do your job. Which is to find the shards."

"You guys done kissing over there? It's making me sick!"

I rolled my eyes and turned around, "Qif gave me a little souvenir. Ghirahim, meet Lumious. He's a light faerie."

Lumious stood proudly on my shoulder and bowed dramatically, "At your service My Lord."

He said it with such sarcasm I almost wanted to flick him off. But if he hit his head our only light source would go out. "You're a pain you know that?"

Lumious shrugged, "So, what are we doing in this dump?"

Ghirahim growled, "I've been wanting to know the same thing myself. You see, I think the guardian of this shard is a traitor. He led me here, the shut the door on me. I'm no fool. I can tell there is nothing in here to find."

"I wouldn't be so sure."

Ghirahim and I turned to the left where there was a particularly messy pile of broken machinery. Lumious squeezed through the small space and disappeared for a moment then reappeared. "There's a keyhole, but I'm the only one who can get to it. You have a key?"

Ghirahim glanced at me skeptically, but removed his earring before handing it to Lumious. The little guy rose an eyebrow at the earring but shrugged. It was amusing, seeing his carry the earring in his arms awkwardly. He flew back through the rubble for a moment. I didn't expect anything to happen. In fact, I didn't even think there was really a keyhole there. However, in a moment, a lot happened. Lumious returned the earring just as the whole room started to rumble around us. The gadgets and broken gizmos moved on their own, connecting and molding together. In moments, what looked like a room full of a lot of nothing changed into a room stuffed with one big something. If only I could figure out what it was.

The wall behind us opened up, illuminating the room. My eyeballs didn't exactly like the sudden brightness.

"You!" Ghirahim yelled. I assumed it was that guardian traitor, but when I turned around? I saw a horrid sight.

Wenta himself, was right in front of us!