SIXTEEN

"Are you sure you're okay?" V asks worriedly as I walk silently beside him, on our way to our next lesson.

I nod. "I told you, I'm fine. Stop worrying, Taehyung."

"I have gym class now, I'll see you later, Violet." He says and kisses my forehead.

I don't smile in return, I just head into my next lesson which I share with Jimin. I sit at the back of the class, not even having enough energy to say hello to him.

"V is just worried about you, you know." He speaks up after a few moments of silence.

I slowly turn to face him. "I know. But I don't need to be looked after, I'm fine."

"Whatever you say, purple." He sighs and my eyes flicker towards the teacher at the front of the classroom.

"Okay, class, settle down," he shouts and the class quietens before an all so familiar figure steps into the room, and immediately my throat tightens and my skin pales into a sickly white. "We have a new student today, please introduce yourself."

"Hello, everyone, my name is Mike, please treat me well."

I feel Jimin's hand on my knee comfortingly as the girls in the classroom swoon over the tall boy. I feel sick, physically sick.

Without warning, I push back my chair, the cold metal screeching against the tiled flooring before briskly walking out of the room.

"Kim Violet, where are you going?" Mr Jeon shouts but I ignore him.

I jog down the corridor with blurred eyes due to my tears until I bump into a hard chest.

"Woah, Violet, is that you?" I hear Sehun's voice as I look down at the floor.

I shake my head and attempt to escape his hold but he grips my arms tightly, not hard enough to hurt me, but firmly enough to keep me in place.

"What's wrong?" He asks softly as I continue to refuse to look up.

"Just leave me alone, please." I whisper and manage to weaken his grip on me.

I continue my unplanned journey through the corridor until I stumble across the gymnasium where I see V's class playing basketball. I stand by the glass door, hoping that his eyes will catch the sight of me but they don't, instead, I feel a hand on my shoulder and my blood runs cold and my body freezes in place.

"Violet," his voice rings through the silent yet atmospheric air, sending a wave of shivers to chorus through me. "Why do you always run from me?"

I don't say anything, I don't even move. I just continue to stare at V and hope by some miracle that he'll see me.

"Answer me, Violet." He demands and I feel bile rise in my throat.

"Go away," I say hoarsely.

He grips my wrist and I'm suddenly snapped out of my momentary daze. I turn around to face Mike and rip my wrist away from his hold, an expression of anger on show.

"Don't touch me ever again." I warn him.

"It wasn't just a coincidence that I joined this school, you know. I've been checking up on you and seeing how you are. I'm surprised you didn't notice sooner." He chuckles and I raise my hand, slapping him across the cheek with as much force I can apply.

He steps closer to me but before he can say or do anything, the gym door opens and V appears. I breathe in relief as he immediately rushes towards me and pushes Mike out of the way.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

I watch V's bruised knuckles (from last night at the party) as he lifts Mike up by his collar.

"Just catching up with Violet." He smirks.

"Don't ever go near her ever again." V says before pushing him onto the floor.

V then turns away and pulls me into a different direction, away from Mike. We turn the corner and immediately I hug him tightly.

"I'm scared, V." I mumble into his chest.

"Don't be, baby." He whispers and strokes my hair comfortingly.

"He's back, V, he's back."

"Come on," Taehyung mumbles and releases the grip he has on me.

He holds my hand and pulls us through the corridor until we reach an exit. If it were any other day, I would've protested and claimed skipping school is ridiculous but I only oblige.

"You don't need to worry about him anymore." V smiles as we step out into the fresh air outside.

We jog outside of the school gates in case we're noticed and told off. I feel happier with V, but the feeling of angst inside my chest doesn't entirely disappear.

"My dad is out of town until tonight. Want to go to my house?" He asks and I nod.

"Sure."

I'm slightly surprised when we reach Taehyung's house. It's small, smaller than I had anticipated, and there's an overflowing plastic bag of empty alcohol bottles accompanying the front door. V sighs when he notices it and throws it over his shoulders, throwing it into the bin at the end of the driveway.

"Sorry about that," he breathes when he turns around. "Just ignore all of the beer inside."

V fumbles around with his keys before pushing it into the door, twisting it until it unlocks. Immediately, the distinct smell of alcohol invades the fresh air outside and I stifle an uncomfortable cough.

"Sorry about this, it's not usually this bad." He mumbles as I walk through the bottle ridden living room and to the stairs.

V's room contrasts greatly to the dingy downstairs; his white wallpaper is immaculate, no anonymous stains or rips, the wooden flooring is spotless and there is no mess in sight.

"What's that?" I enquire when I notice a shiny black object resting on his bedside table.

His eyes widen and suddenly become panic as I walk towards it. "Violet, don't-"

I gasp and step backwards, horror overwhelming me as I stare at the object I wished to never see.

A gun.