TWENTY FOUR

"Please tell me that you're joking." I beg quietly as I stare at V with helplessness in my eyes.

He shrugs and looks at me as if I'm crazy before smirking. "Violet, a few days ago we were writing notes about how much we hate each other in class. Do you think I'm stupid? What happened to your hair, anyway? And why are you in a wheelchair?"

"V, please let me explain everything." I say in a voice which is barely a whisper.

"I'll leave you two alone." Eunki informs me and I nod. Even she sounds upset.

"What is it?" He asks and I try my hardest to stop the tears which threaten to fall.

Although we aren't together anymore, it still saddens me that he doesn't even remember the memories we have together. They weren't all good but the majority were. He doesn't remember coming over to my house and staying over in my spare room, or writing our names on the table in the diner, or our first kiss at the beach. He doesn't remember any of it. I'm just the quiet girl who he annoys in class again.

"I'm your, um, ex girlfriend," I say hesitantly and wait for his response, but surprisingly, he remains silent so I continue. "I'm sure you remember all of the dodgy shit you're involved with, right?" I ask and he nods. "Well one of the men, Jay, came to my house and I rang you. He shot me in the leg and he beat you up pretty hard which is how you have damage to your brain, as I'm sure the nurses explained to you. You were protecting me."

"So you're the reason I'm here?" He asks but doesn't sound angry, just curious.

"Yes," I admit and look down. "I'm really sorry, I was just scared."

"So we were together? Since when?"

"About a month ago you confessed to me at the school bonfire and I told you everything about my past. You did the same, about your, um, current issues-"

"What did I tell you?" His voice suddenly rises and he sits up. I notice he winces at the sudden movement but his expression remains slightly angry and confused.

"About your dad," I tell him and his eyes widen. "Please don't panic, I won't tell anyone, trust me. One day I was at your house and your dad came home early. Everything seemed to go downhill for us from that day, we broke up the following morning."

"Why did we break up?"

"You were shouting at me and I was scared. It just came out, I ended things and I regretted it straight away. But I was too stubborn to let you back into my life." I look up and see a somewhat guilty expression on his face which causes me to turn away, unsure what else to say.

"I'm sorry for scaring you." He finally says after a few moments of silence.

"It's fine, I just couldn't help but think of the way I used to be treated." I admit softly and he suddenly looks at me confusedly.

"What do you mean?" Shit, he doesn't remember anything about Mike, does he?

"Nothing, nothing," I brush it off, not wanting him to know. Mike has changed and V needs to give him a second chance like I am. "How does your head feel?"

"I feel like I've been repeatedly hitting it against a brick wall for the past three days," He chuckles and leans back against the cushions. "It's pounding."

There's a knock on the door and I rotate the wheelchair to see his nurse. She smiles and steps inside before beginning to talk to us.

"Taehyung, how are you feeling?" She asks.

"Fine." He tells her and I glance at him. He's such a liar.

"That's good. It's seems as though you're suffering memory loss, is that correct?"

"How do you know?" He asks rudely but she doesn't seem to mind.

"The girl with the thick eyeliner outside told me," she chuckles, referring to Eunki. "Do you know what date it is?"

"Nope. Even if I didn't have amnesia or whatever, I wouldn't have remembered."

"Do you know who this girl is?" She asks and points to me.

"Yes, that's Kim Violet." The sound of his name rolling off his tongue feels so different now, like I'm a stranger to him.

"It seems as though your memory loss isn't too severe, which of course is brilliant news. When the brain suffers amnesia, it's practically impossible to determine whether the damage is permanent or only temporary. Usually patients regain their memory within the first month or so, but some never manage to remember what their brain has erased. Hopefully this won't be the case for you, Taehyung."

He nods understandingly as I consider the thought of him never remembering me fully again. That would be absolutely awful.

"You and Violet seem to be particularly close. I recommend the two of you spend a considerable length of time together, do things you perhaps used to, and hopefully, this will be all it takes for your memory to return."

"I need to spend time with her?" He asks and glances towards me. I feel my chest churn uncomfortably at his words but the silence is broke by a quiet chuckle. "I'm only joking. She's not so bad really."

an; my otp :( but at least he isn't being a jerk to her, right ??