FIFTY SEVEN

i'm not a law student ok please use ur imagination i'm sorry

"The leader of Seoul's most dangerous gang, Yoon Jaehyun, has been charged on account of attempted murder and possession of illegal weaponry, alongside seven other members after the conflict that took place three weeks ago in Seoul. Former best friend of the eight teenagers who were attacked, 17 year old Jeon Jungkook, is among those charged. Their trials begin in two months time--"

Suddenly the TV screen turns black and the reporter's words are cut short.

"I thought I said not to watch anything about what happened, Violet." My mum sighs, sitting beside me on the sofa holding the television remote, her thumb hovering over the power button.

"Why did he do it, mum?"

"Jungkook?" She asks softly and I nod. "I don't know, sweetie. There are some terrible people in this world."

"It's not fair."

"I know, Violet. It isn't."

I just hope that the trials have the outcome that we deserve.

"Did you watch the news?" is the first thing that Eunki asks me when I see her. I nod whilst taking the seat at the opposite side of the table, thanking her for the coffee that sits in front of me. "Crazy, right? I can't believe the story has been publicised so much."

"I know. I was thinking, the reporter said that they were being charged with the possession of illegal weaponry. Why weren't the boys charged, too? They had guns."

"I'm not sure," Eunki shrugs, taking a quick sip of her coffee. "Perhaps it was only because they used theirs out of self defence."

I nod, understanding. "Anyway, how was your first day at work?"

"Ugh," she rolls her eyes playfully. "So boring. I kinda regret applying now."

"Only you would regret a job after one shift." I laugh, my eyes trailing towards the entrance of the café. I shudder at the sight of a man that undoubtedly resembles Mike entering.

Everywhere I go, memories of him and what he did haunts me. It's almost as if I can't escape.

"You okay?" Eunki questions in response to my unsettled expression.

"I'm fine," I force a tight smile. "Can we go? I know I just got here, but I'm not feeling great."

"Oh, yeah sure. Let's go back to mine."

I finish drinking the small cup of coffee before pushing back my chair and standing. I keep my eyes firmly on the door as I walk, closer and closer--

"Hey, are you Violet?"

All of a sudden there's a hand on my wrist and the boy that resembled Mike is smiling at me.

Keep calm, Violet. Don't panic.

"Um, yes I am. Do I know you?"

"You probably don't remember me but you know my brother."

That's when it clicks.

"James?" I question and he smiles with a nod. All of the air inside my lungs seems to escape at that moment.

Mike used to talk about his older brother a lot but I only saw him once or twice, mostly only on the photographs that are scattered around his house. James moved out when he was eighteen so he was never home for me to see.

"I'm surprised you remember," it's hard to forget, when you look practically identical to your brother. "I mean, I'm not--"

"Is Mike with you?" I interrupt, feeling Eunki's body stiffen from beside me as she catches on.

"No, no. He's at home."

"Home?" I question hurriedly. I thought Mike was still in Busan.

"Yeah." James says in a voice that makes his response sound more like a question.

"He isn't in Busan anymore?"

"No, he travelled back a few days ago. He hasn't been attending school, for whatever reason, but he says he's planning on going back next week."

I can't breathe.

"You two were close, weren't you? I never found out what happened, he never said. All he did was lock himself inside of his room all day and night."

He's here, he's back.

"We used to be close." I say quickly, pulling my wrist away from his gentle grasp.

"What happened, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Let's not talk about this," Eunki intervenes with a forced smile. "We really should go--"

"Why don't we have a coffee? I'll pay." James suggests with a smile that looks too much like Mike's.

I just want to forget about him.

"We just had one--" I begin.

"Have another," James smiles widely. "Come on, Mike never let me speak to you when you were together. He told me that you'd think I'm better looking than he is and that you'd leave him for me." He laughs.

He doesn't know what his brother did.

It isn't his fault.

"Okay." I finally give in. I'll be fine as long as Eunki is with me, it's not as if I'm meeting with him alone.

"What do you think about the shooting that happened a few weeks ago?" James asks once we sit down, a new set of coffee cups sitting on the wooden table. Oh, not this again.

"I haven't really heard much about it, to be honest." Eunki lies and nudges me with her elbow ever so slightly, encouraging me to do the same.

"Neither." I quickly add.

"Well, one of the boys that was arrested is my cousin. I had no idea he was into all of that gang stuff. Well, I didn't really know him at all to be honest, he was always closer to Mike. It's still weird though, for some reason I feel guilty for the poor people that were attacked just because I'm related to one of their attackers."

"Really?" Eunki frowns. "What's his name?"

"You probably won't know him, but his name is Jeon Jungkook."