THIRTY EIGHT

"What is it?" Eunki asks cautiously, noticing my abrupt change in demeanour.

I don't respond verbally, instead, I push the book towards her. She frowns but begins to scan it nevertheless, her expression mimicking my own once she comes across our friend's name.

"What was he doing here?" I ask quietly, still a little in shock.

"Maybe it's just a coincidence." She shrugs.

"I need to speak to Amelia." I stand up, taking the book with me. We head to the reception and I regain the attention from the girl by placing the book down onto the wooden surface.

"May I help you?" She asks politely.

"Does Amelia still work here?" I ask and she slowly nods. "Is she on shift today? I need to see her."

"She's through the back," she motions towards the door behind her. "What's your name? I'll go and get her."

"Violet." I tell her impatiently.

"Amelia!" She calls and disappears into the back room.

My breathes are heavy as I wait a short period of time to see her. It's only a matter of seconds before the door is opened again and the familiar woman appears.

"Violet?" She asks quietly before walking quickly towards me. "What are you doing here?"

She hugs me and pulls away, looking somewhat pleased by my presence.

Amelia has always been a beautiful woman. She was ten years younger than my dad when they first met, but they were both mature adults. They loved each other a lot, he absolutely adored her. He would do have done anything for her.

Her black hair is braided and travels down her back. Like usual, her makeup is faultless and beautiful. I always saw her more as a sister rather than a mother figure.

"I need to talk to you about my dad."

Her smile fades and she diverts her gaze away from me. "Violet-"

"It's important," I interrupt her. "Is there somewhere we can sit in private?"

"Yeah, let's go through the back." She nods and Eunki and I follow.

She leads us to the room where she was sat before. I sit on one of the few sofas opposite her, ready to explain what I found.

"Do you know who Kim Namjoon is?" I ask abruptly.

She looks instantly shocked, her pale features immediately transforming into a frighteningly lighter shade. She nods slowly, looking simultaneously confused and terrified.

"Yes, I knew him," she somewhat stutters. "He used to visit the library almost everyday."

"He was here the day my dad died. Did you see him?"

I raise my eyebrows when she stays silent. She eventually sighs and mutters an almost silent: "you deserve to know".

"What's going on?" I ask.

"You're not going to like what I'm about to tell you," she warns and my eyebrows furrow in confusion. "Namjoon and I were in a relationship."