FORTY EIGHT

Namjoon was proven innocent only twenty minutes after the interrogation. The police contacted his boss who confidently proved his alibi. He was working during the time of the break in, there was no way that it could have been him. 

I feel simultaneously relieved and guilty. The guilt is almost suffocating, knowing that I allowed one of my best friends to be interrogated by the police as if he were a criminal. 

Fortunately I haven't seen him since; I don't know if I can face him, not after what I did. 

"It isn't your fault, Violet." My mum tries to assure me, sitting beside me on the sofa that is still slightly damaged after the break in. 

We returned to our home last night after V's dad arrived back in town. I love the house but I hate being back, because after what happened. My mum can't close a cupboard in the kitchen without me jumping in fright that we're being burgled again. 

"It is," I say quietly. "I should have known that he wouldn't do such a thing." 

"As the police said, all of the evidence was against him at the time. You're not to blame for none of this. Anyway, did you eat your breakfast?" 

I shake my head, "I feel sick." 

"You need to eat something, Violet." 

"I'll grab something on the way to school." I promise her although I know it isn't true. 

"Okay, as long as you don't forget. I'm off to work, I'll see you later, honey. Have a nice day at school." She kisses me on the forehead.

"Bye, mum." 

V waits for me outside at the scheduled time. I don't want to go to school today, I hardly ever do, but I don't want to face Namjoon, not today, not after what I did. 

"Morning." Taehyung smiles but he looks uneasy. I'm guessing he feels similar to what I do. 

"Morning," I mumble, climbing into his car. "Can we just skip today?" 

"Is Kim Violet really asking to skip school?" He asks cheekily with a laugh, attempting to defuse the anxious tension. "No, we're going, and we're not going to say anything to Namjoon unless he says something to us. Okay?" 

"Right." I nod, absorbing his words.

I keep my head down as we walk through the corridor hand in hand. I feel the urge to vomit when I notice a familiar set of blonde hair next to my locker. 

"Are you disappointed?" 

I finally look up, nervous, to see Namjoon's angry face. Other people in the corridor turn to (in)discretely watch the commotion unfolding, including Eunki, Jungkook and Jimin who stand awkwardly beside us. 

"What?" I croak, not daring to look him in the eyes. 

"Are you disappointed that I was proven innocent? Or did you want me to go to prison?" He seethes. 

"Of course I didn't want that. You're my friend-"

"No I'm not!" He screams. At this point I'm certain the entire school can hear him. "Not anymore!" 

I step backwards behind Taehyung as an act of instinct. I know I deserve everything that I'm getting but I can't stand people shouting at me like this. 

"Namjoon, calm down," Taehyung says in a surprisingly calm tone. "You're scaring her." 

"I don't care, she almost put me in prison! I took a day off school to work in order to help provide for my family, for my son! And this is what I get? Some friends you are."