Chapter 15

K A S H M E R E

I just sat around in the house catching up on some reading in some of those pregnancy books. I talked to August each day on the phone briefly and also D who stopped by Tuesday during the day to sit with me for a while and make sure I wasn't getting into no trouble. I didn't see what kind of trouble I could get in when I was five and half months pregnant but whatever.

Tuesday night I was in bed anticipating my nightly phone call from August. No matter what he always called me every night so I always tried my best to stay awake so I wouldn't miss his call. We talked for almost two hours until he let me go to get some sleep.

The next morning I woke up earlier than usual and started to get ready to do the one thing I've been putting off for months now. Right now I would say I was happy in my life and all the people in it, but then I thought about my mom.

I used to be mad at her and how could I not after all that went down. One thing I realized though was life was to short and at the end of the day she was still my mother, the only family I had left. I hadn't seen her in months and talked to her in longer but I just hoped that today would go well.

After getting dressed I was so nervous I didn't have much of an appetite but I could hear August's big mouth now and ate a banana and made my way to my old house.

The drive took me 20 minutes. It was just before noon and her car was in the driveway so I knew she had to be home. I must have sat in my car for close to ten minutes trying to talk myself to get out of the car. I checked my phone one last time, I texted August this morning and he had yet to text me back and that was over two hours ago.

I got out of the car and made my way to the front door. It felt like yesterday when I was calling this place home. I remember the day we moved down here and moved in. I remember the good times, when it was just me and my mom. When we were close, when I could tell her and talk to her about anything. Then I remember getting older, going out more and meeting August.

I remember how I avoided him meeting my mom until that one night that she slapped the crap out of him, then later me. I remember telling him to pick me up and drop me off down the street because I didn't want her to see me getting in his car. Now I was pregnant and about to have a daughter of my own.

I rung the doorbell two times back to back and knocked on the door. I must have been standing there for close to two minutes. I even rang the doorbell again and still no answer.

I counted down in my head from ten, when I hit zero I was getting in my car and driving back home, just as I got to six I heard the locks and the door opened to reveal my mom.

I stood there a little speechless as I looked her over, she looked the same but I noticed she looked tired. I wasn't the only one observing, she looked me over and she couldn't take her eyes off my stomach.

"Hi mom."

She finally lifted her eyes up from my stomach and looked at me.

"Your pregnant."

"I am," I nodded putting a hand on my stomach, "It wasn't planned but I'm happy. I'm five and a half months and I'm having a girl, a daughter. Your going to be a grandmother."

By the time I got done talking I had a smile on my face, the thought of my daughter always brought a smile to my face but my mom wasn't smiling, not at all.

"Where is the father," she asked, "Who is the father?"

"I'm still with August, he's the father."

"Mhm," she sighed, "And where is he, in jail or did he leave you when he find out you were pregnant?"

She was doing what she did best, judging. I could take a lot of people talking about me but I hated the perception she had of August. Especially since she never gave him a chance.