Chapter 22

"Mom?"

They both stared at me and my mom gave me a faint smile and Augusts mom smiled at me.

"I'll let you two have some privacy, it was nice seeing you again," Augusts mom said to my mom and they shared a smile and August gave me a comforting pat on my shoulder before she walked off and I focused on my mom. Wondering why was she here and what did Augusts mom mean by 'nice seeing you again'?"

"Hi," she gave me soft smile.

"Hi, umm what are you doing here I figured you would be in Jamaica by now?"

"I'm leaving in a few hours, I had to stop by and see you before I left, I have some stuff for you that I thought you may want."

It was when I noticed the two boxes on the ground by the front door.

"I was cleaning up the house and found pictures and a bunch of other things you may want to keep."

I stared at the boxes and nodded, "Thank you."

"That's only one of the reasons I stopped by, I know this is almost three years two late but I want to say that I'm sorry for everything."

That caught me off guard especially since my mom wasn't one to apologize to anyone even if she was at fault. I was speechless and I didn't know what to say so I didn't say anything.

"For so long I've been angry, angry with myself, angry with your father. I wanted the best for you, I wanted to protect you and I know that I didn't go about it in the right way. I'm for all that I put you through, I was selfish. I was trying to hold on to you by any means necessary. For so long it's always been me and you. Every time you had a problem you came running to me, if you needed anything I was there. I felt like I was losing you-"

"I told you to leave because I saw so much of myself in you. I noticed the change in you, the glow on your skin and the twinkle in your eyes. I had that same look in my eyes when I met your father. I was head over heels in love with him and things were amazing, I thought we would last forever, we had you and I felt like my life was complete but then he started cheating. The first time I found out it was like my heart was ripped out of my chest. I didn't want you to experience what heart break felt like. I thought he would break your heart so I wanted you to stop seeing him."

"You could have just told me this. I know what dad did to, I love him yes but I hated what he did to you, to us. I was young but even I noticed a change in you, I knew something was wrong between you two. But you giving me ultimatums and kicking me out didn't help. It only pushed me away."

"I know-"

"And you pushed me away, you stopped talking to me and then you kicked me out. I started feeling like you didn't love me anymore. Do you know how that feels, to feel like your mom doesn't love you or care about you?"

I always played hard and acted like I didn't care that she kicked me out and that me and her weren't' talking but there were times when I secretly cried. Seeing August and his mom together. I love Ms. Sheila like she was my own mother but at the end of the day I knew she wasn't my mom. I had a mom and she didn't want anything to do with me.

I couldn't imagine treating my child the way she treated me. I didn't want to cry in front of her and show her how much she truly hurt me but my hormones were all out of balance. When she wrapped her arms around me and pulled me in for a hug I stayed stubborn and refused to hug her back but my stubbornness didn't last long.

We stayed embraced for few minutes before she pulled away and wiped the tears from my face and reached down and held my hand in hers.

"I know I had a terrible way of showing it but I your my daughter, my only child and I do love you. I will always love you. Your grown up now, you have a baby of your own on the way. I want nothing more than for you to be happy and I can tell that you are. I know you rarely ever heard me tell you this but I am proud of you and how far you've come."