Vic

Edited

It was three days ago since my brother visited, and Kellin and I have gotten a lot closer, like a lot. We kissed a lot, and held hands whenever possible, sometimes we fell asleep in the same bed. They were the best nights. I didn't wake, I didn't dream, just simply I slept in the warmth of Kellins arms. Waking up cuddled into him, our legs tangled together, was possibly the best feeling ever. I felt less alone, I felt wanted. Someone stayed the night, they must care.

I liked him, a lot, and we didn't have an official label, but who needs labels? I'm pretty sure we were more than friends, friends don't kiss, or hold hands, right?

I also had two new friends, Jaime and Tony. I wasn't very social back home, I never had anyone to speak to or laugh with, it was always just Vic. Just me.

Who knew a place as dark and dreary as this, is giving me some of the best memories, best moments and best friends I'd had in, possibly, my entire life.

I got upset still, broke down, had a panic attack, but not nearly as often as I'd used to. Plus, if I did get upset, there was nearly always someone there to cheer me up.

"Vic," someone said, Jaime.

"Sup?"

"You listening?"

"Not at all, bro," I chuckled. Jaime sighed over-dramatically, then began to repeat whatever he said before.

"-ruby, she's starting tomorrow, she's like crazy, like insane crazy," he finished, nodded at me.

"Most people in here are crazy," Kel spoke up.

"Most people in here are clinically depressed or addicted," Tony interrupted.

"As if there's a difference," Jaime frowned, picking at his food.

I looked down at my full plate, then to Kellins almost empty one and Tony's half full plate. Sighing, I frustratedly brushed my hand through my hair, which was growing a lot longer than I actually wanted it.

A tray slammed down beside me, making me jump as I looked next me. A girl, fairly short with a pale complexion, but bright, blood red hair, obviously dyed. She had a warm smile on her face, bringing a smile to my own. It was one of them cheesy, contagious smiles.

"Hi," she spoke, catching the tables attention, "I'm Ruby!"

"Hi Ruby," I waved.

Jaime frowned, his brows furrowed, "you were suppose to be here tomorrow."

"I know, but I did something and my parents wanted me here today!"

"I'm Vic," I greeted, glaring at Tony, who was staring.

"Hello Vic, are we friends? Can we be friends? I don't have any friends."

"Of course we can be friends," I smiled at her childish behaviour.

She leaned up to my ear, "I'll let you in on a secret," she took a deep breath, "I'm a mermaid."

The boys didn't hear I don't think, but I grinned childishly, before leaning to her ear.

"That's cool," I began, "because I just so happen to be a merman!"

"Really!" she gasped. I nodded, and Kellin eyed me suspiciously. I just smiled at him, giving him a slight thumbs up.

"Who's he?" Ruby asked, her ocean blue eyes sparkling.

"That's Kellin," I said, pointing at the dark haired boy, "that's Tony, and that's Jaime."

"You all have pretty names!"

"You have an amazing name, Ruby's are so precious," I told her, "Ruby, like your hair."

"My hair is red because Ariel," I suspected she was talking about The Little Mermaid, "but also because of my name! Isn't that great!"

"That's amazing!"

"I like your hair," she told me, "and your eyes, you have nice brown eyes, mine are yucky blue."

"Yours are blue like the sea, where mermaids come from," I said, whispering the word mermaid because it was a secret.

Soon a nurse approached our table, taking Ruby by the hand and escorting her out of the canteen.

"She's nice," Tony said, after several moments of silence.

Jaime nodded in agreement, and I let out a humming noise. Kellin just stared at his plate,

Tony looked over at me, confused. I just shrugged.

"Hey Kel is ever-"

He stood up and walked out.

"What the fuck was that?" Jaime asked, just as confused as me.

"I have no fucking clue," Tony answered, finishing the last of his meal. I had barely touched mine.

They both looked at me, as if I knew the answer.

"I'll go check on him," I suggested, looking towards the direction that Kellin left.

Jaime and Tony nodded, leaving to put that food in the trash.

I paced out of the food hall, and into an empty corridor.

The one thing I appreciated about this place was the freedom. During lunch and free time you were allowed to go to your dorm, to the common room or in the corridors. I've heard that in other mental hospitals it's like a prison, which is one of the reasons that caused me to be anxious about this place.

I arrived at our room, suspecting he was situated there. I was correct. He was lying on his bed, his face in the palms of his hands.

"Fuck," he whispered to himself.

I coughed, making my presence noticeable.