{6}

I wake up to the sound of sirens and blue and red lights. The guy that I had brought home was standing at the rails of the balcony.

I stretch indulgently, the white sheets covering my bare body, "what is it?"

"The police are here." he says in his eerily calm voice.

I laugh softly, "I can hear that, but why are they here?"

"They're here to take me." he turns to look at me.

"What? Why?" I ask incredulously.

"Because," he looked me in the eye, his placid expression sending shivers down my spine, "when you do something for the greater good..." he sighed, his languid, lazy voice cracking, "you often get punished for it."

There was a banging at the door, urgent knocking and my eyes widened, staring at the man before me - the stranger that I had brought into my rented apartment.

"Police! Open up!" a muffled, male voice shouts from behind the door.

When none of us make a move the banging increases and so does my heartbeat. What have I done?

Soon my door is knocked down, police swarming the small apartment with handguns at the ready. They look around before discovering us in my bedroom.

I felt every single drop of blood drain out of my body, my heart dropping to my toes.

The man smiles at me calmly, his lazy eyes blinking slowly. He's led out of my apartment, no attempt at fighting back.

"Ma'am," a police woman calls and I look up at her, feeling so many emotions at once - disgust in the forefront, "we would kindly like to ask you to get dressed and come in for questioning?"

"What - what did he do?"

She looked down at her shoes and then back up to me, "his name is Christian Longo. He murdered his wife and 3 kids a few days ago."

I felt like throwing up or throwing myself off a cliff - or both, just anything to take this wretched feeling away from me.

"I - I didn't know..." the lady looked up at me, attempting to be sympathetic. She didn't know what to do either.

I couldn't help but see his face in my head, the calm, languid face that stared at me without a care in the world - I had let a monster in home...

***

this is based on the movie 'True Story' I'm not copying it I just wanted to try and see what it felt like from her perspective, what do you guys think?

- nancy