Chapter 7

"Ready to go?" Grunkle Stan asked me.

I nodded cheerfully but inside, I was scared.  I was afraid of what would happen to me outside of the hospital.  There wasn't any immediate help at the shack.  Only the mental support from the ones I love, that should be enough.  For now.

The shack was quite.  All that was heard was the distant sound of a coyote howling and crickets chirping.  The sky was painted with stars and even brighter with the bright moon peeking through the clouds.

"How ya feeling, kid?" Grunkle Stan asked me.  He helped me out of the car.

I saw a figure sitting on the couch on the porch.  I could recognize that red-haired teen any day.

"Hey Wendy!" I shouted, waving to her.  She looked up from her phone.

"Hey man! I haven't seen you in forever! How ya feeling?" She asked me.

"I'm feeling much better, thanks."  Mabel ran up to me and gave me a painful twin-hug.  "Hey!" I laughed.  We walked inside chatting away.  Everything felt like it was going to be okay.

*       *       *       *

"Syrup race!" We yelled together.  Syrup was slowly poring out of the bottle and, as usual, Mabel won.  She began to proudly cough as if she actually achieved something.  I just smiled and rolled my eyes.

"Hey Mabel, have you seen Grunkle Stan lately?" I asked her curiously.  She shrugged and kept eating her pancakes, but something still nagged at me.  Where had he gone?  He never said he was leaving.

"I-I'll be right back!" I quickly ran out of the room and looked into the gift shop.  It was empty and all was quite.  "Staaaan?!" I called out.  I heard some muffling coming from.....the basement?! Since when has there been a basement?

I knocked on the wall and it appeared to be hallow.  "Okay, this is gettin' weird," I said to myself.  I backed away and examined the wall, expecting to see some sort of trap door, but instead, I was greeted with a gust of wind and the vending machine swinging open, knocking me off my feet.

"Ouch! Hey!" I looked up to see what could've caused this and was shocked to see Grunkle Stan, halfway out of the 'basement.'  His face was frozen with fear.

"I-I-uh," he stuttered.  I had no idea what to think.

"What's behind there?" I asked him, pointing to the gloomy staircase.  His face began to get sweaty, revealing his emotion.  I gave him an accusing look.  "Grunkle Stan, what is it?"  He sighed.

"Look, this isn't easy to tell you.  I've been, well, uh," I waited for his answer, but that was shortly lived.  Six government agents busted thought the door and tackled my uncle.  Two more came in and grabbed me.

"Hey!" I yelped.  I watched in horror as they began to drag my great uncle out of the shack and into handcuffs.  Mabel was also dragged out of the 'Employee Only' door.  I began to panic.  I knew Grunkle Stan was a thief but what could've he done to get him into this much trouble?

A/N: I know I know, imma butt for not posting but hey! It's back! *ACDC starts playing Back in Black* I'm sure most of you know the struggle with school and sports and other activities but I've got it going and I will try to update sooner! SORRY!
~Rachel