Winter Classic

It's been a couple of weeks since I left Pennsylvania. The tears have gone but the slight sadness remains. I've been texting Jaden non stop... We just sort of clicked when I left. It's currently a Wednesday, and I had practice later tonight. I'm face timing Jaden and trying to do chemistry homework while he's talking.

"Hey Sammy."

"Sammy."

"Sam...."

"SAMANTHA!"

"WHAT JADEN!" I yelled getting frustrated

"Sorry sorry, didn't mean to make you mad."

"I'm not mad, now go ahead and talk."

"When do you have practice?" He asked

"Ugh, I think at like 8. I know it's a late practice."

"Oh okay, cuz Cole was gonna come over around like 5..."

"COLE IS GONNA BE THERE I HAVENT SEEN HIM IN FOREVER!"

"I take it you miss him?" He laughed

"Yeah I- hold on Jaden, my coach is calling."

I hung up on Jaden and answered my coach.

"Hello coach baker, what's up?"

"Sam, glad I could get ahold of you. Could you come to the rink early tonight?" She asked

"Uh yeah I think I can do that, how early?"

"Be here asap. Oh and dress warm. See you tonight." Then she hung up

Well that was strange. I called Jaden back.

"Hey j, I have to be at the rink super early tonight, so I'll call you tomorrow?"

"Yeah sure Sammy, love you"

"Love ya j." I said and hung up.

I pulled on a pair of my warmest sweatpants, grabbed a Princeton sweatshirt and my team jacket. I slipped my black nikes on and grabbed my Buffalo Sabres knit beanie from my hat drawer and raced out the door to the truck where my dad was waiting for me. I pulled on my hat as we backed out of the driveway.

~

We arrived at the ice rink where a coach bus was waiting at the front.

"What is that bus for dad?" I asked looking at it as we passed to find a spot to park

"I'm not sure, maybe it's the Canadians?"

"God please don't let it be the Canadians." I said shaking my head

I grabbed my gear and walked toward the front where coach Baker and the rest of the team was waiting for me.

"Okay girls, so good news. We're going to an outdoor tournament!"

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. I had never played on a real outdoor rink besides the one my dad builds in our back yard each winter. I looked over at my dad who was carrying my bags for me.