Our Secret

Jaden's POV

I awoke to someone clinging onto me. When I looked down, I saw it was Sammy. At first I was confused, but then I remembered yesterday. She had returned. She surprised all of us. I remember what I felt when I saw her. My heart welled up and it didn't even feel real to me. I couldn't believe my best friend was standing right there in front of me. She was wearing the sweater that I loved on her. It hugged her just right, and her curled hair framed her face perfectly. Her sweater was red and striped, which complimented her blue eyes perfectly. And she smiled her award-winning smile. Kayleigh jumped at her, and was in tears. It made me smile how happy she made others. But then came Cole. Sure he was my best friend, but Sammy was also my best friend. He swept her off her feet. He said something that u wasn't able to hear and then, he kissed her. My heart has shattered, because, even though I refused to admit it to anyone, I was in love with Sammy. Sure, it's a cliché to be in love with your best friend but I didn't care. And of course I couldn't say anything to either of them, they're both my best friends. I love them both, and I wanted them to be happy, even if I wasn't. I was sure Zack knew this, but he never said a word. My thoughts were interrupted by Sammy moving in my arms. This felt so right I thought before she woke up.

"Good morning... Jaden?"

Uh oh.

"Uh morning." I replied

I was in so much trouble, I was sure of it. And if Cole found out, even more trouble. I looked at her for any signs of how she was feeling. She was deep in thought.

"Sammy?" I said quietly

She snapped out of it. She gave me a slight smile before getting up and rushing out of the room. Great. Now she would tell Cole and everything would become a mess. I'm so stupid, I thought before pounding my fist into the mattress. I decided it would be best if I got up as well. I returned down stairs to Zack and Kayleigh sitting at the counter with Sammy. I assumed Cole wasn't up yet, and sighed with relief. I joined them at the counter and Sammy acted like everything was normal. Like what just happened upstairs didn't even phase her. Cole soon enough arrived and sat next to her. She placed her hand on top of his and I winced a little. Every romantic interaction was like a jab to my heart. But as I looked at Cole's reaction, I was happy for a second. His blue eyes lit up every time he saw her, every time she interacted with him, every time she did something. And that second I realized that, I was happy. After all, if I couldn't love her, I was sure as hell glad it was my best friend Cole rather than any other guy. I knew Cole. He had his moments where his temper boiled over. He also could love Sammy better than any one else. And I was glad she chose him. It sounds crazy. Like, Jaden, you love this girl, aren't your furious? And the answer, is no. Why should I be furious with Cole? He had no idea. Form what I had told him, he assumed she was just a friend to me. And if they make each other happy, then I'm okay with it, even though it slowly kills me. Sounds contradictory, right?

~

We finished eating and decided we would go to the mall. Everyone headed upstairs except for Sammy and I. We sat across from each other at the counter in awkward silence.

"Sammy I'm sorry." I said to her

"Jaden don't apologize it's okay alright, but can we just keep this between us?" she asked me

"Yeah it's our secret." I said

She smiled at me and got up from her seat. She walked over to me and held out her arms. I smiled and gladly accepted her hug. In this moment I knew, everything was going to be alright.