The Perfect Gift (Akashi x Reader)

Long birthday special ahead~

You had no idea what to get for Akashi's birthday next week. You were walking around in the mall, peering into the shop windows laden with bright Christmas decorations, spending what seemed like hours picking up potential gifts then putting them back down. Somehow, nothing seemed right.

Akashi was made of money. He already owned practically everything. Cuff links, shirts, scarves, gloves, cologne, pens, basketball shoes... He had whole drawers full of them. Furthermore, they were all expensive and branded. Being a very ordinary girl, you didn't have much money. You had saved up for months for this very special day, yet there was nothing you could buy with the money you had that could compare to the luxurious things that he owned.

Disheartened, you leaned against a tall bookshelf in the bookstore. It was hopeless. Akashi was impossible to shop for. What could you give him that he didn't already have?

Your eyes flicked over the rack of magazines in front of you listlessly. DIY CHRISTMAS GIFT IDEAS! screamed one headline. 50 HANDMADE GIFTS! another said. At that moment, it was as though a lightbulb had appeared over your head. That's it! You could make something for him. Something unique and personalized. You stood there flipping through the magazines, trying to get as many ideas as you could, before you were almost thrown out of the bookstore by an assistant.

You spent the rest of the afternoon buying the materials you needed before heading home. You were so pleased and relieved that you had finally found a suitable gift that you walked home with a spring in your steps despite the subzero temperature outside.

For the remaining week, you took your time making Akashi's birthday present, trying to make it as perfect as you could. Every day after school, or after the occasional date with Akashi, you would head straight home, sit at your desk and work on the present.

~o~

By the time Akashi's birthday arrived, your fingers were covered in Band Aids due to various accidents involving your clumsy hands and scissors. However, the present was ready, wrapped up in bright red paper and gold ribbons. (You had put a lot of thought into the color scheme as well.)

"You look beautiful tonight, (First Name). As always," Akashi told you, taking your gloved hand into his. The two of you were in a sleek black car, on your way to the Akashi mansion for a birthday dinner with Akashi's father. It would be your first time meeting him, and the thought of the intimidating man made you shiver.

As though reading your mind, your boyfriend's fingers curled tighter around yours. "Don't worry about my father. I'll be there with you, all right?"

"Thank you," you told him with a grateful smile. "And you don't look half bad yourself." You added teasingly. Even though he looked absolutely drop-dead gorgeous in his black suit and red tie.

When you arrived at the gigantic mansion, you didn't even have time to marvel at the exquisite exterior or feel nervous before you were ushered into the dining room by a butler.

Akashi Masaomi was sitting at the head of the long mahogany dining table, an imposing figure in his tailored suit and slicked-back hair. He was as handsome as his son, but his face was hard and lined sparsely with wrinkles, his eyes cold.

"Seijuro." Even his voice was scary, all deep and rough. His eyes barely skimmed over you.

"Father," Akashi acknowledged. "This is my girlfriend, (Last Name) (First Name). I believe I have told you about her."