20: He Doesn't Believe A Word I Said

"Are you fucking kidding me!"

"Why are you so mad! I didn't do anything wrong."

He pushes his fingers through his hair, his blue eyes piercing at me.

"Isabella. You don't get it. I came on a date with you. Not Theo, his sister, his mom, not even Hazel's brothers. You."

I frown at him, "Hey, it's not like they hung out with us all night and I don't know what you want me to do. Pretend like they don't exist. Those people are my friends and family and I thought you'd want to meet them. You didn't even bring your brother."

"No, I didn't. Because why would I bring my brother on a date. He was with my mom, at home."

"Whatever", I say walking away from him, "I didn't bring anyone either and yet you're still mad that I ran into them."

Dean doesn't say anything as I walk away and it's because he can't possibly say anything.

I had come to his room the day after Christmas Land when he gave our boss some sorry excuse why he couldn't come to work.

Apparently the only thing he was sick of was me.

"Isabella wait. I'm sorry, okay."

"That seems to be your favorite words to say. What are you sorry about Dean?"

I turn to him and he takes my hand in his.

"Look, I'm not used to this whole dating thing. I'm trying to figure everything out, okay. It's just I feel like lately I'm not dating just you-

"What are you talking about?"

"Let me finish, okay. I feel like I'm dating you and Theo. I get that your best friends and you've been in each other's lives forever but the way the two of you act and the way other people talk about you two, it's like I'm the dumbass trying to date someone whose already taken and I don't want to be that person."

"Then don't. We're not dating. Theo and I don't have feelings for each other. I don't want you to feel that way at all. The people thinking there's something going on are the dumbasses. It's just me and you Dean. No one else."

"See, you say that now but when he's finally ready to tell you how he feels, it'll be like I never existed. He'll always have something over me."

I should have known dating one of James' friends was like dating another version of him.

You know they say friends attest to who you are.

It was clearly shown here. It seemed I was okay with insecure men.

"He doesn't have anything over you Dean. I would still have to have feelings for him before I decide to go run off with him."

My phone rings and I ignore it, looking at Dean.

"Aren't you going to answer it?"

My phone is laying upside down on the coffee table in his apartment and I shake my head.

"No. What we're talking about is more important."

He laughs but it's not like when someone says something funny. It was more sinister.

He grabs the phone off the table, looking at whose calling before he answers.

"Isabella's phone, Dean speaking."

He smirks at me and I narrow my eyes.

I can't hear what the person is saying but I know from the tone of their voice who it is.