35: He Said What Now?

"Dance with me."

"No thank you." I tell him, trying to turn away from his outstretched hand but he leans down to my ear and whispers, "Isa, it's your sister's wedding day and you're in a sexy ass dress and you been avoiding me again, one dance and I'll leave you alone."

I look at the dance floor, even Mr. Robertson was dancing with Kalani in one arm and his wife in the other.

I guess I did look pathetic over here by myself.

I get up, taking his hand slowly, holding the train of the dress to walk properly. He leads me to the golden square in the middle of the reception room.

Hazel sees me and smiles, giving me a thumbs up and I smile a little back at her.

Theo places his hands around my waist, pulling me closer to him. He looks at me deeply, his eyes turning a darker hue of green as he smiles at me.

Somewhere in the back of my head, I thought... How could someone stand here and dance with another girl while they're already taken?

"What?"

"Nothing." He sighs, his fingers gently pressing into my back.

I can't breathe when he looks at me like that.

A slow song begins to play and I immediately recognize it, it's You and Me by Lighthouse.

[...cause it's you and me, and all other people, with nothing to do, nothing to lose... ]

"Why are you looking at me like that" I whisper but his intense gaze doesn't stop.

My hands are wrap around his neck and my chest is pressed against him.

I try not to think of how fast my heart is beating while I talk to him.

"Like what" Theo replies in my ear, almost taunting me. 

"I can't-I can't breathe when you look at me like that", I rush out the words, trying to put distance between us, but he moves closer.

[And it's you and me and all other people, and I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you.]

"You know what I think", I don't dare look up at him. I have to hold my ground.

"What do you think Theo?"

[What day it is? And in what month, this clock never seemed so alive.]

I ask, in a very monotone way.

"I think you secretly love dancing in public. I've seen you dance with people in public and you were smiling and laughing. You see, I think this is all a charade."

[...and I don't know why I can't keep my eyes off of you.]

I snicker at that and he spins me around, pulling me to him again.

My breath catches as he slowly dips me, and pulls me back to him.

It felt like it was the first time we ever met. 

That we weren't Theodore and Isabella. Just two people meeting at a wedding for the first time. 

"Maybe I just don't like dancing with you", I say, trying to snap out of it. Trying to remember that I shouldn't let this go on.

Who was I really protecting though, him or me? 

I think I've known the answer for some time now but have been too afraid to admit, how much I need him.