Part 1: A new school year

My phone starts playing a tune I'm all to familiar with. My alarm. I grope around my bed side table until my hands finally close around it. Turning it off I sit up, rub my eyes and swing my legs onto the floor. It's my first day of year 10.

After having a quick workout out I hop into the shower letting the warm water calm my nerves and excitement. I change into an outfit I'd picked the night before. Something I thought was cute, comfortable and overall cool.

I live in Australia where our new year (and new school year) are in midsummer, and boy it gets hot.

I put on my loose sea foam green t-shirt, with pale yellow sunflowers printed on it. I pair it with frayed denim shorts and my favourite pair of light blue low top converse. I'm lucky enough to go to a school that doesn't have an everyday uniform.

"Good morning Piper." My mum calls, looking up from the newspaper she's reading.

"Morning mum." I chortle in reply as I walk into the large kitchen and dining area.

Heading to our island bench I make myself a mango smoothie for breakfast.
After gulping down the creamy liquid I head to the fridge to get food for lunch. I take out last nights pasta salad and a bottle of water. Grabbing a green apple on the way.

I'm not on a diet no, I just enjoy eating healthily. My whole family does. ️Mind you I like doughnuts and ice cream as much as the next person.

I take my lunch to my room shoving it in my plain black school bag. Along with a large note book and my pencil case. As we get our timetable on the first day back at school it's pointless taking more than one book since you don't know what classes you have.

I walk back into the bathroom to apply the finishing touches to my appearance. I leave my hair out, only tying the front two sections together at the back.

My hair is straight and orangey blonde. It's mostly blonde really, with a slight orange tinge in parts and reaches down to my shoulder blades.

I don't wear makeup as I only have a few small pimples dotting my forehead and concealer only makes them worse. However I do apply a coat of mascara which makes my blue green eyes look even bigger. People say my eyes are my best feature.

I brush my teeth before putting on some lip balm. I spray on deodorant and apply my favourite peach and vanilla perfume.

"Are you almost ready sweetheart?" My mum calls.

She's driving me in to school this morning, I mean I could catch the bus. But who really wants to catch the bus of the first day of the new school year?

"Yep. Coming." I yell back.

There is often lots of yelling in my house, not because we are angry with each other but because there are lots of us.

This morning has been unusually quiet due to the fact my older brother Matt left early this morning to go to work. He's in year twelve and since he picked the minimum amount of subjects he only has to attend half days.

Honesty I think he's given up on school entirely. He spends most of the time gawking at Georgia, a girl he works with. He speaks more to her than to us, typical teenage boy

My  two younger siblings are both away my brother Oliver is on his year 6 science camp with dad. While my sister Tia is staying at her friends house, it's her first day of year 7 and she didn't want to go alone.

"Piper!" My mum calls again, this time sounding impatient.

I grab my phone, earphones and wallet. Swinging my bag over one shoulder I run down stairs to the living room where my mum is waiting.