Part 3: Fudge Brownies

The bell rings signalling the end of roll call and Elka and I start heading towards the hall.

Pushing past the crowds of people we make our way to were our friends are sitting. I plop myself down between Steph and Clara.

Everyone goes quiet and the deputy principal starts banging on and on about "respect" and "choices" and being "mature and responsibly". As well as other irreverent crap.

We're meant to be here for our bloody timetables I mutter under my breath. Clara hears me and giggles.

Finally they start handing out our timetables along with school dairies. After checking that my first subject for today is science I slip my timetable straight into my dairy. I have a tendency to lose them and the office ladies aren't keen on handing out a second copy.

Science goes by rather uneventfully Max flirting with Stephanie, Stephanie ignoring him. Clara scribbling the notes down frantically.Finally it's recess.

My phone buzzes, it's a text from Clara telling me to meet her on the oval. The lucky thing got to miss science because her soccer tryouts were on that period.

I tell the others and we all start making our way there.

"Stephanie stop touching your hair it looks fine." Clara says with exasperation.

"W-what?" Steph replies taken back by Clara's serious tone.

"You have untied it and retied it 4 times already for gods sake." Clara says trowing her hands up.

"It's looks gorgeous out Steph, just leave it like that." I add honestly.

Steph's hair is slightly longer than mine , it dark golden brown with loose ways that bounce when she moves.

"But I need it up for trials." She whinges.

"Look I'll braid it when we sit down to eat." Clara replies squeezing Steph's arm.

We meet up with Elka and Naomi and start looking for a place to sit. We find a picnic table under a large shading tree and sit there.

I pull out my pasta salad and start eating, Clara is braiding Steph's hair and Elka is explaining how her soccer tryouts went. By the sounds of it really well, no surprise through. She had practically already been guaranteed a spot on the senior rep team.

Elka was a natural at all sports and soccer was her strong point.

"So." Naomi says, breaking the silence that had just settled. "Who votes this is our new senior hangout." She looks around expectantly.

"I do." I reply smiling

"Same" "Me too!" "Yeah." The others girls chorus.

"Well I guess that settles it then." A deep voices come from behind. 

I turn around to see Toby,  Clara's boyfriend, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Everyone calls greetings to him smiling. He's well liked in our group.

He's a basketball player from our year and he loves Clara with all his heart.
You can see the fondness in his eyes as he nuzzles into her neck.

"I'm trying to braid here you know!" Clara giggles pushing him away with her elbow.

"Aw but I bought you a brownie." He says, presenting her with a delicious gooey fudge brownie from our schools canteen.

"Alright, alright." She mutters "Just let me finish this braid."

Everyone in the group laughs. Clara often pretends to be annoyed at her boyfriend, but deep down we know she loves him. I just hope he knows that too.

Sorry not much action in this chapter but there will be in the next one I promise! -N.T xx