Part 10: Sporting News

I'm so sorry about the super long wait on this update :( hopefully I will be updating more frequently again now :) -N.T

The rest of the week dribbles by rather uneventfully, and finally Friday rolls around.

"The results for the sports tryouts will be up on the notice board outside the PE staff room at recess." My roll call teacher drones in his usual monotone voice.

"Eeeeeee!" Elka squeezes my shoulder beside me.

"Oh how exciting." She grins happily

I smile back at her I have to admit I'm pretty excited too. 

----------------------------------------------

As it gets closer and closer to recess my maths class gets more and more restless.
People are placing bets on who they think will make it into certain teams, and some especially nerdy kids in my class even created a formula to calculate the probability of getting in. Personally I'm just crossing my fingers and toes and hoping like hell.

The bell rings and everyone scrambles to gather their things and push and shove each other out the door and into the hallway.

"I literally feel like I'm part of a mass migration with all the kids in senior school, but instead of heading north for the winter we are heading to the PE staff room." Steph groans as we walk across the oval.

"Hahaha true." I give Steph a little side hug, I love that she can always make me laugh.

Everyone starts funnelling into the hallway that leads to the PE staff room, and the closer I get to the notice board the more crowded it becomes.

I'd told Steph to go on without me and I was immediately regretting it.

I just felt bad because my short legs couldn't keep up with her long ones and I was holding her back. But now, without her I was getting pushed and shoved and could barely move.

Then all of a sudden a firm hand takes mine and I'm being pulled through the seething crowd of people.

I look down to the strong hand holding my own, my eyes trail up the arm and land on my saviour. Okay, okay I might be over exaggerating a bit..

The hand belongs to Scott a soccer player in my year, and I have to admit he's not bad looking.

Finally the notice board is in sight and I can see Jacob and his friends standing around it. One of them nudges him then points to me.

Once J spots me he flashes me one of his heart stopping smiles. But his smiles quickly falls and is replaced by a look of anger? No, not anger but hurt.

I look down to see I'm still holding Scott's hand, I quickly drop it and look at J. But he's turned his back on me and is walking away with his mates.

I feel a pang of guilt in my chest. But why should I? It's not like J and I are dating, he probably doesn't even like me.

"Aw Piper I thought you were enjoying holding my hand." Scott says pouting.

"I-er yes wait no wait Ughhh." I reply still caught up in my thoughts.

"Go on." Scott smirks at me.

"Thanks for helping me, but I better go see if I made it into the performance team." I say genuinely.

He just shrugs his shoulders. "It's all good." And then walks away.

I trace my finger down the piece of paper titled 'Performance Team Members 2016'

Emily Arken

Kara Denny

Vivian French

I smile to myself, I'm so glad Viv made it in.

Lila Hack

Brad Moon

Hell yes I'm so happy there is a guy on the team; for two reasons. 1 they are super strong and can easily throw the girls around, and 2 I hate gender stereotypes.

India Parker

No surprise there she's in year 12 and the most amazing dancer.

Piper Clades

Eeeeee I've made it I've actually made it!
I think happily. Then I see everyone around me giving me funny looks.

"Shit." I mutter. "I must have said that out loud."

I look around to trying to spot Stephanie to tell her my exciting news and ask if she made it in to volleyball.

Buts she's nowhere to be seen...