Part 7: Bus trips & phone calls

I hop onto my bus red faced and sweating, lucky for me it has air conditioning.

I had ended my first day back at school with the volleyball tryouts. Clara and I just do volleyball for a bit of fun but Steph takes it really seriously. She hopes to play on the senior rep team before she leaves school.

She moves with such power and grace when she plays and she'll easily make it onto the A grade team.

The team gradings go from "Senior rep" the best team then through "A grade", "B grade" and finally "C grade." which is the worst team.

I'll be happy to make in onto B grade to be honest, I think Clara will be too.

The bus pulls up at my stop and I, along with a handful of others kids get off.

I am greeted by a hot breeze and the sound of crickets as I walk home. I live on the outskirts of the small city where I go to school.

"If I'm out in the sun much longer I feel I will melt like an ice cream." I say to no one in particular.

Luckily it's only three houses 'till I reach my own air-conditioned house.

I start walking more briskly in the hope to get away from the heat.

Reaching the from door  of my small two story house, I turn the door handle to find that it's locked.

I knock loudly, but no one comes to the door my stupid brother probably has his headphones on.

I start rummaging around in my bag looking for my key, but I haven't packed it. I groan loudly, making my way along our little path to the back garden.

Even though my family doesn't live in the tropics our garden is filled with palms, ferns, orchids and other exotic plants. Mum calls it her "little slice of paradise." And takes great pride in it.

The door leading from the garden to the spare bedroom is always open so I make my way through there. Before taking our stair case up to where the kitchen,dining room and my bedroom are.

There is a note on the kitchen bench it reads.

Piper,
I'm picking Tia up from school and taking her shopping for school supplies. I also have to grab some things for dinner. Matt is at work so you'll be home alone for a while.
Love mum xx
P.s there is some homemade green tea lemonade in the fridge, help yourself.

I tip some almonds into a bowl, pour myself some lemonade and make my way to my room.

I don't have homework as such but I want to transfer my notes into there correct books.

I'm half way through writing up my science notes when my phone rings. It's not someone from my contacts or even a number I recognise.

"Hello?" I say slowly.

"Hey piper." The voice at the other end is male, but I don't recognise it.

"Who's this?" I question suspiciously.

"I'm sad you don't recognise my voice Mac." There is a playful tone to the voice and then it clicks.

"Jacob?" I ask uncertainly.

"Aw cutie, call me J." He coos.

"Only if you call me piper." I mentally high five myself for my sass.

"No can do, how about Mac?" He offers.

"Fine." I sigh.

"Hang on a sec, how the hell did you get my number?" I ask suddenly creeped out.

"I have my ways." I could practically hear him smirking. "Mind you it has taken me the all afternoon." He adds quickly.

"Why bother? Why not just ask?" As soon as I say this I regret it.

"I tried to, but you ignored me." He chuckles but I can hear a slight hurt in his tone.

"Yeah. Sorry about that." I say grimacing.

"You know most girls would jump at the chance to get my number." His tone flirty.

"Cocky much!" I scoff. Footy heads are all the same.

"But they would." He says causally.

"Well I guess I'm not like most girls." I reply.

"Your not, but I like that." And with that he ends the call.