Chapter 3

"Oh, God." I groaned, slowly sitting up in bed. My head was pounding, my stomach was churning, and I just felt like absolute crap. I brought my hand up to my temple, slowly letting my thumb rub around the area in hopes to reduce some of the pressure. No such luck. "Shoot me. Shoot me now."

Just as I was about to lie back in bad, wanting to just sleep all day since I didn't have work, Jess came running in. "Mommy!" She hurried onto my bed, throwing herself onto me like she did most mornings. But unlike most mornings, I didn't laugh and hug her. 

I ran to the bathroom and threw up instead. 

I waited for my stomach to unclench before lifting my head from the porcelain bowl, leaning against the wall of the tub. Jess walked in slowly, a confused look on her face. "Are you sick, mommy?"

I nodded weakly, grabbing her little hand that wasn't casted. "Yeah, I am, baby. So I'm gonna have Aunt Morgan come and get you so you don't get sick, too, okay?" I didn't want Jess getting sick and potentially infecting the other children in her class. That would not end well. 

Her little lips formed into a pout, and she placed herself in my lap, wrapping her arms around my neck. "I want to stay here wif you, mommy. I no go with Aunt Morgan."

"You have to, Jessie-Belle. I don't want you getting sick like mommy." I rubbed her back softly, gently placing her off my lap and onto the ground. "And you like sleeping at Aunt Morgan's, right? I bet she'll play Wii with you."

My heart was breaking at the sad, almost puppy like look on her face, but this needed to be done. When she nodded, I smiled slightly and pinched her cheek. "If I feel better tomorrow, we'll spend all day together. We'll go to the aquarium and eat ice cream all day, okay?"

Almost instantly, her eyes lit up and a smile overtook her face. "Feel better, mommy!" And with that, she ran out of the bathroom, squealing and giggling. 

Ah, my little angel. 

~*~

Once I made sure Morgan and Jess were officially gone, I collapsed onto my bed, doing my best not to throw up. I was so nauseous, and I couldn't keep anything down. But sleep was not going to come anytime soon, and it seemed that he universe hated me because my phone started ringing.

Was my ringtone always that loud?

"Hello?" I croaked, smashing my cheek against he pillow and allowing my phone to basically balance on my other one. 

"Hey, Blake," Ross' voice greeted on the other end. "Are you sick? 'Cause no offense, but you sound like crap." I couldn't help but chuckle, humming in confirmation that I was in fact sick. "I guess asking if you wanted to go out for lunch is out of the question, huh?" 

My stomach churned almost immediately. "I'm sorry to say it is."

Over the past couple of weeks, Ross and I had gotten close. Whenever we both had some time to ourselves, we would grab some coffee and just hangout. I had learned quite a few things about my new friend, and vice-versa. Of course I had left out quite a few details of my personal life, but he now knew the basics. 

"This might be overstepping," He cleared his throat, almost awkwardly. "But, uh, would it be okay if I came over? You can obviously say no, but I know being sick sucks, and it definitely sucks when you're alone. I mean, you're not alone, you have your daughter...I just figured that you'd want some company." Pause. "I think I'm gonna shut up." 

Rambling, huh? Never thought he'd be the one to ramble. But let me tell you something; it was fucking adorable. 

"I don't want you getting sick, Ross." I finally answered. "You work with kids everyday."