Chapter 14

Be sure to check out Secret's Out, my new Ross book!

I felt like I was in a daze, as if my mind was in a fog. My entire body felt weak, my limbs feeling as though they were filled with cement. 

"Hey, baby." A warm hand slid into mine, and my heart beat instantly picked up. Ross. "It's been two weeks without you. Two weeks of pure torture. You gotta open your beautiful eyes, Blake. We all miss you so damn much. Jess needs her mommy back." He paused before continuing, his voice soft. "She called me daddy, Blake. S-She thinks of me as her dad, and I think of her as my daughter. I don't know how you feel about that, but I was so happy that I almost cried." I felt his lips brush against my skin. "I love you both, Blake. I don't know if you can hear me, but I promise when you wake up, we're gonna be a family. We're gonna move in together, go on vacation...just be a family." 

I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I listened to his sweet words. I love you, too, Ross. I want to be a family, too.

I heard his breath hitch as his finger wiped away the tear. "Y-You can hear me? Oh, my God, you can hear me." 

Open your eyes. Let him know you're okay.

With the very little strength I had, I forced my eyes open into slits, unable to open them any further. I swallowed, wincing as my throat ached. "Ross," I croaked, my voice coming out barely as a whisper. HIs head snapped up, his eyes widening as he caught sight of my wakened state. I smiled to the best of my ability. "Miss me?" 

He laughed, tears immediately accumulating in his eyes before letting them go freely. "You're awake." He wasted no time in kissing me, the salt from his tears landing on our lips. He cupped my cheek as I weakly kissed back, my eyes fluttering close from exhaustion. When he pulled away, he rested his forehead against mine for a moment before pulling away and getting a cup of water, placing the straw in my mouth as I hungrily sipped. The cool liquid quenched my thirst and moistened my dry throat. 

"Don't force yourself to stay awake, Blake." He whispered, noticing my struggle to stay awake. "Close your eyes and go to sleep."

I nodded, uttering three words before I slipped back into dream land. "I love you." 

~*~

The next time I woke up, not only was Ross in my room, but Jess, Morgan, and my parents were as well. Jess immediately climbed onto my bed, hugging me as I burst into tears, while Morgan hugged the life out of me. I clung to my little girl so tight I thought she would burst, but I didn't care. Despite feeling as though I was asleep for a day, I knew it had been two weeks. Two weeks my family missed me. 

Cried for me. 

A full examination was done by my doctors a little later, and I almost jumped for joy when they told me I could go home in a couple of days. They made it clear that I would have to take it easy for a few weeks, but I didn't care. I was alive; that was all I cared about. 

Morgan and my parents left when visiting hours were over, but not before promising that they would be back first thing in the morning. Though I was glad to see them, I was a bit relieved to have some alone time with Jess and Ross. Placing my baby girl on my lap, I coaxed Ross onto the bed, gently snuggling into his side as he wrapped his arm around me. 

"I'm so happy you're awake." He murmured, kissing the top of my head. 

Jess tilted her head up to look at me. "Me, too, mommy." 

I smiled and bent down to kiss her forehead, kissing Ross' cheek after. I couldn't imagine the pain they were going through while I was in a coma, and I greatly wished I could go back in time and leave a few minutes later, avoiding the drunk driver that hit me. Ross had explained everything to me, and I couldn't help but burst into a fit of angry tears once he finished.