Chapter 17

It would mean a lot to me if you guys checked out my other book on my other account

The New York air had a slight chill despite it being the middle of April. I made sure Jess' sweatshirt was on nice and tight as we stepped out of the airport. A smile tugged at my lips as I listened to the hustle and bustle around us.

I truly missed New York.

We grabbed a taxi, Ross hauling our luggage into the truck as I settled into the backseat, my sleeping daughter on my lap. Once Ross hopped in and I gave the driver my parents address, we were off.

I rested my head on Ross' shoulder, staring out the window as we drove through the city. Besides the quiet music playing, the car was filled with silence.

"I'm really happy you came with us." I whispered, pressing my lips to his shoulder.

He smiled down at me, kissing my forehead. "Me, too. I haven't been to New York in a long time, so I can't wait to spend my time here with you and Jess."

"And maybe," I bit my lip. "My parents can watch Jess for one night so we can have a date night."

"Sounds perfect." He traced his finger over Jess' soft cheek. "I'm sure your parents would love to spend some time with her." I nodded in agreement.

As the taxi came to a stop outside their apartment, my heart began to race in excitement. We grabbed our luggage and paid the driver before he sped away. I could see the light from inside the house, and it took all I had not to run and hug my parents like a little kid. So as painful as it was, we walked up to the front door, rang the bell and waited.

It felt like hours passed before the door was opened.

And when it did...

"Blake!" Her loving and familiar arms were wrapped around me so fast, and I was surprised she didn't crush Jess or wake her up. I knew she was exhausted from the early morning wake up, and the slight time difference didn't help. Once she finished smothering me and Jess in kisses, as well as hugging and kissing Ross' cheek, she ushered us inside, calling for my dad in the process.

The look of shock on his face almost brought me to tears, and I hugged him as tight as possible. I missed my daddy so much.

I was surprised to see tears in his eyes, but he couldn't composed himself and greeted Ross, hugging him. Again, I was surprised.

"Oh, just look at my grandbaby," My mom gushed, brushing her hand across Jess' head. She led us to the living room, questioning us on our flight, how long we were staying, how I was recovering...just about everything.

It felt good to be in my old apartment, staring at the familiar walls that held pictures from my childhood. But despite the familiarity that was smothering me, a wave of sadness crashed. Danny was in all the pictures beside me, and I hugged Jess tighter. She would never get to meet her father, never truly get to know him. Yes, I could tell her stories about him, but it wasn't the same.

Because the exhaustion from the day was catching up to us, Ross and I decided to head to my old room for a little nap. Jess had woken up not too long ago, so I left her with my parents. Grabbing our luggage, we padded down the hall where my old room was, Danny's right beside it.

My eyes lingered on the closed door for a moment before I tore them away and walked into mine. It was like traveling into the past, and for a moment I wasn't a mom with a hot doctor boyfriend. I was back in high school, worrying about my SATs and getting excited for school dances.

My parents didn't change one thing about my room. The walls were still painted magenta, every picture remained in their respective spots, and nothing was out of place, my stuff animals included. It was if my entire room was frozen in time.