Chapter 9

I'm not entirely sure what month we're in, but let's just say we're in October, and Ross and Blake have been dating since August. Keeping track of dates in stories is harder than it looks. And please check out my new book, My Bodyguard! It is a Ross book, by the way. 

"Halloween is five days away and I have no clue what I'm being!" Morgan flopped down on my bed, throwing her arm over her eyes. "This is a crisis, Blake. A crisis I tell you!"

I rolled my eyes, twisting around in my seat to look at her. "Dude, why are you even dressing up? I'm only dressing up because Jess wants me to."

She pouted childishly. "Halloween is the one day I can dress up and pretend to be someone I'm not."

"You were Minnie Mouse last year." I deadpanned. "Become an actor if you want to pretend to be someone else." 

She tossed a pillow at my head. "Don't be such a downer. Now help me figure out what I'm gonna be!" 

Was it wrong that I wanted to slap a piece of duct tape over her mouth? 

"I don't know." I shrugged. "Just choose a random costume."

She groaned, sitting up. "You're no help whatsoever." She glanced at her watch and sighed. "I gotta go. Tell the munchkin I love her. Later." 

"See ya." I watched her walk out, hearing the front door open and close a moment later. 

I didn't understand why she was stressing over a costume. Halloween was just a holiday where kids would get dressed up and knock on strangers doors for candy. I never understood the concept of this holiday, but the only thing I liked about it was seeing Jess in a costume with a large smile on her face. She had gone trick-or-treating for the first time last year dressed as a princess. She looked so adorable, and the amount of pictures I took was ridiculous. 

When she celebrated her first Halloween, she was only seven months old. I didn't think I'd be able to enjoy her first Halloween, because it was only a few months prior that Danny had passed away, but I did. When I saw her in her bunny costume with a smile on her face, I smiled for the first time since his death. 

I looked at the picture of Danny on my bed side table, Jess, who was only two months old in his arms

I looked at the picture of Danny on my bed side table, Jess, who was only two months old in his arms. I never thought that just one month later, he would be out of the picture. 

~*~

"What are you doing for Halloween?" Ross asked, plopping down beside me on the couch. He pecked my lips quickly, draping an arm around my shoulders. 

"Taking Jess trick-or-treating." I replied, leaning into his side. "And if you're free, do you want to come? I know Jess would love for you to join us." 

"Hmm, sounds like fun. Do I get to know what you're dressing up as?" 

"Maybe." I teased. Truth was I wasn't sure what I was dressing up as. I would most likely throw something together last minute.