Epilogue

Cheering and the screaming of my name could be heard from the bleachers as I crossed the stage, accepting my degree with the widest smile on my face. I reclaimed my seat with the other graduates, searching the crowd for my family. 

My mom was crying, her hand over her mouth while dad tried to keep his own tears in. Ross was smiling from ear to ear, his eyes shining. He tried to clap, but failed when he realized his hands were occupied. I couldn't help but giggle. 

As the Dean gave his final speech, I thought back on the past eight years. They were definitely the hardest years of my life, but so worth it in the end. There were nights where I was at my wits end and just wanted to quit, but I pushed through it. I had to remind myself that staying up all night to study was the only way. I would be lying if I said I didn't break down at times. Tears were shed, and books were thrown. 

But I got through it all and graduated. 

Starting next week, I would be a surgical intern. 

As soon as the ceremony was over and everyone was hurrying around to find their families, I went to find my own. And when I did, I was crushed into so many hugs I was sure my ribs were going to break. 

"Honey, we're so proud of you." My mom gushed, kissing my cheek and forehead. I hugged my parents so tight, tears pooling in my eyes. I would never have been able to get through these past few years without them. 

"Congratulations, mom." My now fourteen-year old daughter stepped forward and wrapped me in a hug, allowing me to rest my chin on the top of her head. 

"Thank you, baby." I murmured, kissing the top of her head. I gave her a good squeeze before moving onto Ross, smiling as I looked at our bundle of joy in his arms. She was fast asleep, sucking on her pacifier and looking so content. I kissed her forehead gently before pressing my lips to Ross'.

"I'm so proud of you, baby." He murmured. 

"I can't believe I did it. I'm so shocked and exhausted at the same time." 

Shocked wouldn't even begin to describe what I was feeling right now. Exhausted would, though. Lily was only two months old, so sleep wasn't acquired easily. 

She was the biggest surprise, but also the best one. After Ross and I had gotten married after my college graduation, we had talked about having kids. We thought that once I started my surgical internship and got steady on my feet that we would start trying. 

We didn't expect on me getting pregnant right before my last year of Medical school. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to finish; that I would have to drop out, but that wasn't the case. It became incredibly hard to concentrate towards the end of my pregnancy, and practically impossible once Lily was born, but I somehow managed to do it. 

I somehow managed to graduate at the top of my class. 

~*~

After enjoying a nice celebratory dinner, the four of us went home, my parents hugging us goodbye and congratulating me one more time before going there own way. I stripped into my pajamas the moment we got home, letting Ross bathe and change Lily. He absolutely adored that little girl, and my heart swooned as I listened to him talk to her over the baby monitor. 

"Your mommy is going to be an amazing doctor, Lily-pad. She's gonna save lives." He suddenly chuckled. "Why are you trying to grab my nose? Is my nose a toy?" A pause. "I love you, baby girl. And I love your mommy and sissy."

"Are you eavesdropping, mom?" Jess questioned, stepping into our bedroom. 

"Maybe." I shrugged. I pulled her onto the bed, wrapping my arm around her. "I love you, Jessie-Belle."