Chapter 12

Ross POV

A gentle hand on my shoulder woke me from my sleep with a start. I glanced down at Jess, who was still sleeping, her little body curled on my lap. Morgan's head was rested on my shoulder, her eyes shut. I rubbed my tired eyes before looking at Grace, the cause of my awakening. 

"She's being moved to the ICU." She murmured as I opened my mouth. "The surgery went smoothly, but there is still some swelling in her brain, so Shane wants to keep her intubated for the next forty-eight hours."

"And if it doesn't go down?" I asked. I knew the answer, I was a doctor. But I couldn't bare to say it, not when it was about my girlfriend.

She slowly sat down, ripping off her scrub cap. "We're not there yet, okay? We're going to take it day by day and see if it goes down on its own. Remember what I said? Stop thinking like a doctor." She gave me a reassuring smile, getting to her feet. "She'll pull through." 

"Grace?" I murmured as she began to walk away. She stopped and turned around. "Thanks. For everything."

"Anytime." 

I closed my eyes, my head resting back against the hard plastic chair. A small groan was heard from beside me, and I watched as Morgan stretched her tired limbs, yawning. It was obvious that she had been crying, her eyes puffy and her cheeks slightly red. I would bet that my face looked the same. 

"She's out of surgery and being moved to the ICU." I informed her quietly, not wanting to wake Jess. "But she still has swelling in the brain, so they want to keep her intubated for the next forty-eight hours." She slowly nodded, tears brimming her eyes once again. 

She got to her feet, quietly informing me that she was going to go to the cafeteria to get something to eat. No words could escape, resulting in only a nod. My jaw clenched as I felt the overwhelming urge to cry, the back of my eyes burning. How could this be happening? One minute we were talking on the phone, making plans for the night, and the next Blake is being operated on. It just wasn't fair. 

"Mommy," Jess shifted on my lap, her eyes still closed. I ran my fingers through her hair, reaching over for my lab coat to cover her. I glanced at my watch, internally groaning at the time. It wasn't even five in the morning, and I had been sleeping on and off for the past seven hours. But the exhaustion was worth it as long as I knew Blake was okay. 

Once Morgan returned, I suggested we move to an on-call room so we could get some more sleep. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep anymore, but at least she would be able to. I made sure Jess was still fast asleep in my arms as I led Morgan to the room, informing nurses in the area that I wouldn't be alone in the room and that they shouldn't interrupt or allow anyone else inside. 

I gently laid Jess on the bed, tucking her in before laying down next to her. Morgan climbed on the top bunk, sniffling slightly as she did so. Neither one of us made a sound as we got comfortable in our beds, afraid that if we spoke, we would break down in tears. 

That didn't stop Morgan from quietly sobbing. 

My heart clenched, my emotions everywhere at the moment. I was angry, the bastard not dead after hitting and almost killing Blake, devastated, my amazing girlfriend fighting for her life in a hospital, and others I couldn't quiet decipher at the moment. Jess unconsciously curled herself into my side, her thumb entering her mouth. I let a small smile tug at my lips, my hand resting on the top of her hand. 

I shifted on my side, my head resting on the crook of my elbow. I allowed my eyes to close, praying that Blake would heal and she would survive. The swelling in her brain would go down and she would wake up, her beautiful eyes staring back at me.