Chapter 21

Here is the last chapter...sad face. But again, there will be an Epilogue. Thank you to everyone that has supported this book <3. 

Waiting for what could be acceptance or rejection letters was the most nerve wracking thing. Every time the mail came, I would run outside and hope there was something awaiting for me. My face resembled one of a child's when my hope was crushed. 

The urge to quit my job increased everyday, but I stuck it out. I couldn't quit without knowing if I got accepted. It wouldn't be a smart move. 

But I really wanted to quit. 

On my days off where I had the apartment to myself, I cleaned, cooked...cleaned again. That was all I could do, and every room was practically shining. 

Morgan would stop by when she wasn't working, but I noticed that she wasn't acting like herself. I knew the reason, and I felt like an awful best friend for not even talking to her before I decided anything. 

I could possibly be moving, and I never talked to her about it. 

So I invited her over on a day where I knew she wasn't working. I made us some tea, trying to strike up some simple conversation before wanting to dive into the reason why I called her over. 

I was never this awkward around my best friend before. 

"I'm sorry." I blurted out, unable to stop myself. Her eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. "I applied to these schools out of state without even talking to you. I just got so caught up in everything, and I'm sorry, M."

"You don't have to apologize for wanting to follow your dream, Blake." She said. "I understand how much this means to you, and I just want to see you happy. I don't want you to worry about me, okay? I just want you to follow your dreams and become an amazing surgeon. Besides, moving here with you was the best decision for me. I moved to help you with Jess, but LA has become my home. I have a job I love, and a rockin' apartment. I think I'll be okay." 

Tears involuntarily filled my eyes. "I love you, M."

"I love you, too, Blake." We wrapped each other in our arms, both of us becoming a blubbering mess in seconds. 

It was going to be hard to leave my best friend behind, but I couldn't ask her to move back to New York when she loved living here. Besides, getting into the schools I applied to wasn't guaranteed. I could be going to school in LA, for all I knew. 

But did I want to? NYU was my dream school, the college I had always envisioned myself going to. I loved LA, but New York was my home; That's where my parents were. 

That's where Danny was. 

I picked Jess up after school, letting her play in the living room once we came back so I could keep an eye after her while I cooked dinner. Ross was supposed to be home tonight, and thankfully not on call. He had been working overnight a lot lately, so I was happy to have him home tonight. 

I was setting the table when the door opened and Ross walked in, tiredness evident on his face. I greeted him with a kiss as Jess ran towards him, wrapping her little arms around his waist. 

"Hey, Monkey." He smiled down at her, ruffling her hair a bit. "Mmm, something smells good."

"Teriyaki chicken and fried rice." I said. "And no, I didn't order in. I actually cooked." 

He chuckled, setting down his briefcase by the door. "Wasn't about to accuse you. But it does smell really good." He kissed my cheek. "Oh, and I grabbed the mail on the way in. You might want to check it out."