Chapter 10

So Sushi-Brain gave me a great idea for this book, and although most of you will probably hate me for writing it, I absolutely love it. I really hope you will, too. That's why this chapter is dedicated to her. And it would mean a lot to me if you checked out my new book One Night Stand. 

The pitter- patter of rain against the window was the only sound in the apartment. Candles were lit around the living room, creating a soft glow. Jess was curled up on my side, fast asleep and no longer flinching due to the thunder and lightning. It rarely rained in LA, but when it did, it rained hard. 

Resulting in a power outage. 

I combed my fingers through her hair, covering the both of us with a blanket. Her cheeks were stained with tears, her nose just a bit red. She was terrified of thunderstorms, and I absolutely hated to see her so terrified. I was just grateful that thunderstorms were pretty rare. 

Rapid knocking on the door jolted my body in shock, and as gently as possible, I re-situated Jess on the couch, making sure a pillow was under her head and the blanket completely over her body. I hurried towards the door, surprised to see Ross behind the door, shivering like a wet dog. 

"What are you doing here?" I hissed, grabbing a towel from the bathroom. I wrapped it around his body. "Are you nuts? It's pouring out there."

"I just wanted to make sure you both were okay." He shivered, casting a glance at Jess. He smiled. "How is she sleeping through this?"

"Don't know, but I'm not questioning it." I chuckled. "She's terrified of thunderstorms. She actually cried herself to sleep. I'm just glad we don't get thunderstorms often." 

He ran the towel through his hair, shaking his head like a dog. Water droplets landed on my forehead. "How long has the power been out?"

"A couple hours." 

He nodded, wrapping the towel around his neck before grabbing the back of my own, pulling me closer and connecting our lips. I couldn't help but smile, wrapping my arms around his waist. With the soft glow of the candlelight, you would think we were about to have a romantic date. The sleeping toddler on the couch told a different story. 

Disconnecting our lips, I played with the fabric of his wet shirt. "You want to change so you're not stuck in these clothes? You left a set here."

"Yes, please. I think I'm starting to chafe."

Chuckling, I watched as he retreated to my bedroom. The way he pulled on his pants as he practically waddled was adorable, and it reminded me of Jess whenever she got a wedgie. 

"Mommy?" 

My head turned towards my daughter, whose voice wavered as she spoke. She was slowly sitting up, rubbing her eyes tiredly. I smiled and walked towards her, picking her up and setting her down on my lap as I sat down. "Sleep well, baby?"

She nodded, burying her head in my chest. I kissed the top of her head and ran my fingers through her hair. A clap of thunder hit, eliciting a mix of a scream and cry from my little girl. I grabbed the blanket and covered her tiny body, rubbing her back as I whispered soothing words in her ear. It broke my heart to see her so scared, and I absolutely hated that there was nothing I could do about it. 

Ross walked back into the room a few moments later, sporting sweatpants and a white t-shirt. How he managed to look good in sweats was beyond me. "She's awake?" He mouthed, gesturing towards Jess. I nodded, continuing to rub her back. He gently sat down next to me, murmuring a greeting at my little girl. She couldn't even muster up a smile, too frightened from the storm.