Chapter 4

"Jacob, this is Cameron."
Kirsten extended her arm out, motioning to him. The tension was unbearable. Jacob was relentless on the stare down at Cameron.

"Look Jacob you're going to be nice to him. You're going to treat him like a guest. Got it?" Kirsten spat.

Jacob shook his head, and a disappointed look grew on his face. Cameron stood quietly still waiting to come inside. Eventually Jacob gave up, went upstairs, and slammed his door. He was angry. But even more so, he was jealous. Jealous that Kirsten was moving on with her life. Jealous that she was going to different places, and meeting various people. He laid his head on his pillow and began to sleep.

"Come in", Kirsten said smiling. "I'm so excited that you're here!"

Cameron slightly smiled. "Me too."

"Everything okay?"

Cameron shook his head no. Tears began welling up in his eyes, and he was trying hard not to let them burst out. He hadn't cried one time out of the whole dispute between him and his mom, and now he was about to lose it in front of the one girl he liked.

"Cam.. You can tell me.. We're friends remember? Best friends."

She took him by the arm and into the living room. She sat down on the couch and patted next to her for cameron to sit down.

He hesitated. "Me and my mom had this huge fight. She thinks it's too soon for me to be living out on my own, but for crying out loud I'm almost 20 years old! I mean what does she expect me to do? Live under her wings for the rest of my life? I refused to let her hold me down. And that made her angry."

Kirsten's smile drifted into a frown. Again she could not imagine having a mother who didn't understand you as a person, or know what you wanted. Her mother had always been carefree, and lenient. Kirsten suddenly had an idea.

"You could.. Stay here for a while. I mean I know it's kinda soon, but if you don't wanna go back home, this can be your home. With me and Jacob of course."

He smiled widely and hugged Kirsten tightly.

"You would really do that for me?"

She grinned.

"Of course. Best friends right?"

He nodded and smiled. He pulled away from her and looked her in the eyes and for a moment they shared direct eye contact. Kirsten felt like he was staring into her soul, like he could see every insecurity she ever had, and still didn't care. She thought, how could this boy that she's only known, for a few hours, have already made such an Impact on her?

He began to lean in.

'OH MY GOD WHAT IS HE DOING. WHAT IS HE DOING?' she began panicking.

She stood up, and released her hand from his. It was funny because she never even remembered him grabbing her hand.

"Uhm.. Why don't I show you to your room?"

He agreed, and walked with her in sync up the stairs and into the bedroom. It was perfectly clean, and smelled of fresh sheets.

"Thanks", he said quietly.

"If you need anything, I'm the last bedroom on the left right down there."

She pointed to her room, and casually looked back to him.

"Kirsten?"

"What is it?" She asked curiously.

"I.. I get nightmares, really bad sometimes. I just don't want you to hear me yelling, or screaming and freak out. I know it's weird," he laughed slightly. "But it happens.."

She instantly hugged him again. She didn't know why she did it, but she knew it was necessary.

"What was that for?" He asked.

"I don't know," she stuttered, "you just looked like you needed it. Umm.. Goodnight Cameron."

He bit his lip. "Goodnight."

She could see tears began to form in his eyes. His beautiful brown eyes. She couldn't quite grasp what it was, that was making him upset. Her heart wanted to stay and comfort him, but her mind said to leave him alone. Let him be. She decided it would be best to leave him alone. She tiptoed down the hallway passed Jacob's room, and into hers, where she placed her head on her soft pillow and fell sound asleep.

                                           ❁

Kirsten was awoken to ear piercing screams. She immediately jumped out and peek out of her door to see Jacob standing by his door as well.

"Sounds like he's dying. Can you take care of that? I'm trying to sleep." He said annoyed.

Kirsten inched her way down the dark hallway. When she approached his door she could hear Cameron crying and yelling. She knocked.

"Cameron?..Are you okay?"

She received no answer. She tried again, and again she still received no answer. She carefully turned the knob and opened the door.
He laid there tossing and turning, kicking and screaming. She began to feel the heat of tears in her eyes. She didn't know what to do. She didn't know how to help him. She found herself calling to him multiple times, but not one time did he awake, and regain his composure. She walked to the bed and wrapped her arms around his muscular, shirtless body.

"Cameron, it's me, it's Kirsten. I'm here. Hey.. Wake up."

He eventually settled down, and laid still with her arms wrapped around him. He began to cry uncontrollably, apologizing over and over again. She laid her head on his chest, and told him to just breathe. She listened to the pattern of his heartbeat. She felt his warmth.

'What am I doing', she asked herself. 'I've only known him for a few hours and I'm already jumping into bed with him.'

She really didn't mind though. The rhythm of his heartbeat was soothing and she soon found herself falling to sleep, peacefully.