Chapter 22

8 years after Alex's Death

Dear Alex,

Hi beautiful. It's daddy. It has been 8 years since your passing. Today you would've been 11 years old. Can you believe that?

I know you're celebrating and having a big party, with Jacob. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if you were still here.

I wonder if we would play dress up, or have a tea party. I wonder what it would've been like to see you learn how to tie your shoe, or start your first day of school. I wonder what it would've been like to see you grow into the terrible teenage years, and if you would've given me as much hell as I gave my mother! I wonder if you would graduate and go to college, or if you would've had the chance to have your own children one day.

Sadly, you didn't get to experience any of that.

I often blame myself for your death. But I know that, there was nothing I could've done to prevent it. Oh how I would give anything to spend just one more day with you. Just one more chance to tell you how much I love you. One more chance to tell you how much you mean to me.

But God has his ways. And there was a greater purpose in life for you.

A little bit has changed in the past 8 years my love.

You have 2 sisters. Anna is 5, she's bubbly, and beautiful, and she reminds me of you every day. Her sense of humor keeps me laughing. And Amelia was born today.

On your birthday. I think that it's a sign that you're still with me. She's beautiful Alex.

I promise they will know all about their big sister, and how she was a true fighter. A true ass kicker, and someone who, if they would've had the chance to know, they would've loved.

Mommy misses you too. She thinks of you often, and we reminisce a lot about the day you were born, and our time we spent with you.

Although we moved on, we truly did not move on. We talk about you as if you were still here, and you live on through both of your sisters.

Not a day goes by where, we don't think about you. Not a day goes by when we don't miss you.
And not a day goes by that we don't say that we love you.

Daddy and mommy love you very much, and we know that one day we'll see you again, but until then we must live out our lives down here.

I've realized so much about my past decade on this earth. About life and death. About love. I often think that if I could go back, would I change anything about how I met your beautiful mom? Or how we had you?

And my answer would be to not change anything. From the first letter I wrote to your mother, I knew she was the one. I guess that is why to this day I still write them. There's a sense of comfort in confiding my feelings into a piece of paper. I guess that is why I'm here writing you this one.

I love you baby girl. So much. Don't you ever forget that.

Happy birthday Alexandria

Always & forever,
Writing letters,
Dad.