Chapter 1- Weirdness in Atlanta

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The Apocalypse Begins~~

I walked slowly through the tangle of students in the halls. A few boys in my grade ran past me, ramming into each other. I rolled my eyes. Eighth graders could be so annoying. I slid the unlock button on my phone and quickly typed in my passcode; 3825. "I SAW IT!" Renae screamed in my ear. I sighed and tilted my head up to the ceiling.

"Shit." I mumbled, smiling.

"WHAT WAS THAT, NIKKI?" Renae shouted grinning.

"SHIT, DARLING, SHIT." I yelled back. She laughed and tried to grab my phone. I yanked it away just in time. We always made a game of guessing each other's passcodes.

I started to speed up now that Renae was with me. We were Sidewalk Buddies, meaning we walked home together. Most of the time we were shoving each other into the grass, though. We probably should've been Random People's Lawn Buddies.

"GOODBYE, LOVELY!" I shouted to Renae as we split up to go to our homes.

"SEE YA LATER, SEXY!" she yelled back. I smiled to myself. I was always the gentleman and she was always the douche. Even though we're both girls. My phone buzzed and I pulled it out of my back pocket. It was Jackson. I smiled at the screen even though I hadn't read the text yet. Jackson and I were pretty good friends. I had a major crush on him, though. I didn't want to ruin the friendship so I never told anyone, not even Renae. I put the phone back in my pocket. I was almost home, so Jackson could wait. I tried not to dance to the song playing in my head for the last half block home.

As soon as I got inside I started shouting the lyrics to "On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons. My mom came down the stairs, raised her eyebrows at me, and lunged at me, covering my mouth. We both landed on the ground laughing, her hand covering my mouth. I pulled away and screamed the next line before she could replace her hand. I eventually agreed to stop and I stood up, pulling her up with me. I grinned and hugged her.

"How was school, kitten?" she asked as I followed her to the kitchen. I rolled my eyes and grabbed a cherry from a bowl on the counter.

"Is that even a question?" I asked, popping the cherry into my mouth. I bit off a piece, removed the pit from my mouth, and finished the cherry. She smiled.

"Well, it's technically still a question even if I know the answer," she said, stirring something on the stove. I stuck my tongue out at her and she just rolled her eyes.

"Do you think any kids tell their parents that school was good?" I wondered aloud, pulling my phone from the pocket. My mom just shrugged and continued cooking. I unlocked my phone and read Jackson's message;

Dafuq is going on in Atlanta? Is this a giant prank?

I knitted my eyebrows together at the text. I walked out to the family room and took my laptop off the end table. I pressed the power button and texted Jackson back while I sat on our cream couch and waited for the laptop to start.

Give me a minute here... what, is there a blimp shaped like a middle finger?

I looked up at the computer screen to see that my background (a picture of a waffle making out with a photoshopped-in Renae) was on, but a few things were downloading. I played a few games on my phone while I waited. I was about to win a level on one of my dozens of games when Jackson's text tone interrupted me. I sighed and opened the text.

Very logical guess but no :P

I smiled and texted back;

Was I at least close?