Chapter 17- Going Through the Motions

I sat on my bed, happily patching my jeans and talking to Trinity. She was on the top bunk reading a book about how to hunt. She hadn't exactly learned during her trance.

     "So I heard about you and Carl..." she trailed off. I could tell she was grinning to herself.

     "I keep telling everyone that nothing happened in the cave! Why does no one believe me? Honestly," I started to lecture before she cut me off.

     "I meant that you were dating, geez," she told me. She was probably rolling her eyes at me.

     "Oh, yeah. So that happened," I noted, smiling as I sewed up my jeans. It still made me jittery to think about him, which I hated to admit. I'd always been so casual around guys, certainly not like with Carl.

     "When?" she asked loudly, almost teasingly, as she flipped herself over so she could see me. She hung off of the top bunk, her head peeking into my bed. Her long hair skimmed my knee lightly.

     "That day when we were in the guard tower and it was raining so hard," I told her, trying to focus on my work to keep from blushing.

     "What happened?" she asked, flipping herself back up to her bunk.

     "Stuff! Now leave me alone!" I laughed. Trinity huffed audibly, but didn't ask any more questions. I'd always pretty much kept to myself when it came to family. I usually didn't share any feelings or sappy shit with friends until we'd been close for at least a year. I preferred to stay quiet and observe everything and everyone around me rather than question anything or trying to make myself heard, which was probably how I'd managed to survive thus far. Then again, I hadn't been a particularly happy person. 

     I eventually finished patching my jeans and wandered around before deciding to kill some walkers. It had stopped raining and warmed up a bit, so I just wore a pair of dirty jeans and a blood-stained t-shirt. I stepped out and squinted against the sunlight, trodding over to the fence and lazily grabbing a lengthy blade. I killed them one at a time, losing track of time.

    I was practically sleep walking as I killed the walkers. I wasn't think about anything at all. Just repeating the motions. So when Maggie stepped up next to me and started killing walkers along with Glenn, I had to hide my surprise as I clenched my weapon tighter.

     After a while, Maggie spoke. We talked about the new girl mainly. She was a subject for conversation, I guess. Something seemed to be up with Maggie. I figured she would tell me if she wanted. We chatted for a while, Glenn remaining oddly silent, until finally Maggie said what she wanted to say.

    "So, I'm pregnant," she noted calmly, glancing over at me from the walkers. I had pretty much assumed that was what it was, but I tried to act surprised and excited. She didn't have a mother to squeal for her.

     "Maggie that's fantastic!" I beamed, sticking my weapon into the ground and hugging her tight.  She smiled, satisfaction and relief masking the anxiety that had been there a few moments ago.

     "You think?"she asked, glancing over at Glenn. He smiled genuinely at her and when she turned back to me he gave me a thumbs-up behind her back.

     "Yes! Of course I think so! Judith's going to have a friend! You're going to be huge!" I giggled. Maggie snickered.

     "Let's try to forget about the whole huge thing for now," she joked,"Oh, and don't tell anyone. I've only told Beth and Sasha so far." I nodded, willing to respect her privacy. I wasn't going to get involved, but I wondered if she'd actually be able to tell Hershel.

     My arms ached shortly thereafter, and I waved goodbye to Maggie and Glenn, throwing in a "Congratulations," before jogging up to the prison. I wandered around, searching for Carl. He was such good company. I really wanted to spend more time with him, although I was kind of concerned that he'd want to go further than we already had. No way was I going to, of course, but I didn't want that to be an issue.