Chapter 2- Equinox

After a while, I got bored of reading about the disease, which was being called the Camnotic Virus. They're calling the process of coming back to life Camnosis. People always say someting is less scary when it has a name, but I don't think so. Having a name makes something real. More of a threat. I got up when I was through with reading page after page of the same information. I cracked my back and trudged to the stairs.

I tried helping Trinity pack, but she was in a frantic state. She was just getting annoyed.

Eventually she snapped, "Just go downstairs and figure out what you can do that's useful!" It hurt, but I told myself it was just the stress getting to her and she wasn't actually mad. I wandered around the house, looking for something 'useful' to do. I waited for the noodles and Mom's homemade sauce to be done and took them off the stove. It was already 6:00 pm. I called up the stairs that dinner was ready, but Trinity yelled down to me to leave a plate in the microwave for her. I put a dish of pasta with sauce and fresh parmesan cheese off to the side in the microwave and left it to get cold.

I ate my pasta slowly, to waste time. After all, there was nothing else that I could do. At least nothing considered 'useful'.

After I ate and washed my plate, I unlocked my phone. I called my mom to see what was taking so long. I got a busy signal on the first two tries, which was weird. Third time's the charm, though, and she picked up.

"Mom?" I asked, "You there?"

"Yes, baby. I'll be home soon." she said. Or at least that's what it sounded like. There was a lot of static.

"What's taking so long?" I asked loudly.

"The roads are really jammed up. I left the store about ten minutes ago. I should be home in about fifteen minutes." That was also weird. Usually it took a total of five minutes for her to get back home from the store.

"Okay, mom. See you soon. I love you."

"I love you, too, kitten. And your sister." she hung up after that.

That had been a really strange phone call. I tried to shrug it off and texted Jackson and Renae. Renae answered almost immediately but Jackson didn't.

my parents are forcing me out of town. i asked to stay with u but they said no. were going to our cabin so i wont have service... love u girl

I texted back;

Love you too, Renae! Text me when you have service again. Have fun in the cabin.!.! XD

She didn't text back so I figured she had already lost service or her phone had died.

I went to the back door and called, "Mojo! Come here, pretty boy!"

I giggled and scratched his head a little as he pranced into the house joyfully. I sometimes wished I could be as oblivious as he was. I followed him out to the living room, where he sat on the big chair next to the window. I sat next to him and leaned back, petting his head lightly. I was about to get up when the wail of police car sirens caught my attention. I glanced out at them. Were they going to a normal emergency or a Camnotic emergency?

As another cop car zoomed by I got up and went upstairs. I sat on Trinity's bed as she packed. I didn't say anything. I knew she was in a bad mood. "Sorry I snapped at you." she said, glancing up at me as she rummaged through a drawer.

"It's fine." I said, shrugging. She nodded and continued rummaging through her drawer. She pulled out a purple notebook and put it into a bag that was sitting on the floor. I watched lazily as the bag gradually filled. When Trinity had stuffed as much as she could into the bag, she zipped it closed and tossed it over next to the door with one other bag. She was about halfway through with packing her final bag when I heard my mom call "Girls?" up the stairs. I ran out of the room and down the stairs.